[How-to] Downgrade iPad back to 3.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bahamutspirit, Jul 25, 2010.

1. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Note: you still need to have your SHSH backed up before hand! There is no way around it!

How do you know if you have your SHSH for 3.2? Well, go into Cydia and read the top left corner:

Please Register or Log in to view images

See? It says I have 3.2.1 too because I updated to that firmware earlier. But if you are currently on 3.2 and jailbroken, please, please go check your Cydia before you do anything!

Since a few of us might not have been with the scene that long...

What you need to do is look for a file named 'hosts' on your computer.

If you are on Windows, it should be in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    If you are on Mac OSX, it should be in: /etc/

Open the file and add this line to the end:
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

It must be on a new line!

Then after that, you need iTunes 9.2 on Windows, or iTunes 9.1.1 on Mac. Note that 9.2.1 is useless since you can't jailbreak with it anyways... So if you have 9.2.1 on Windows, uninstall and wipe your PC clean, then obtain a copy of 9.2 somewhere (filehippo still has a list of older downloads), if you are on Mac... uhh... look up a guide or something. It's complicated...

Anyway, after that, obtain a copy of iPad firmware 3.2 somewhere. This one I can't provide any hint other than Google...

After you have them all in your hands, then do the following precisely:
    - Connect your iPad to your PC/Mac via USB.
    - While the iPad is connected, hold down the power button and the home button simultaneously.
    - When the screen turns off, release the power button, but continue to hold the home button. Don't worry if it says installing drivers or something (on PC or Mac screen, of course, iPad should be completely off and nothing should be on the iPad screen when you are at this step)...
    - Continue to hold the home button until iTunes pop up a dialog saying something like... "iTunes has detected an iPad in Recovery Mode..." (if you see a "Connect to iTunes" message on the iPad, redo from the beginning)
    - Now release the home button and go back to iTunes.
    - iTunes should now be on the tab that has the iPad. Otherwise, navigate to it.
    - In the tab, you should see that only the button that reads "Restore" is active, so hold down the Shift key (doesn't matter if it's left or right Shift, but I use left Shift in case you are nitpick about details) and click on the "Restore" button. A new dialog window should open, use it to navigate to and choose the iPad firmware 3.2 that you have.
    - After that, sit back and relax. If you had your SHSH backed up (if you jailbroke your iPad and ever used Cydia even at least once or twice, then you'd probably have it) then it should go all the way.

Note again: this might not work with iTunes 9.2.1. At least I tried on my Macbook and it didn't work. If you have iTunes 9.2.1 and it doesn't work, then... it's expected. Or if it works. Great. I need to take a look at my Macbook again.

Anyways, happy downgrading. In case you are not happy with 3.2.1, or you miss multitasking.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. iAnas

iAnas Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    how about 9.2 on mac?
  3. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It works for 9.2 on mac. If not you can always delete and reinstall a lower version of iTunes.
  4. iAnas

iAnas Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    OK...Whats The Difference between this and backup SHSH?
  5. Bolt

Bolt New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    How about using TinySS?
  6. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    This is the next step after you have your SHSH backed up... There is no way otherwise.
  7. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yer I was going to mention that. You should put in the title this only works if you've backed up your SHSH on 3.2. So its sort of useless for people who have just bought an iPad since it'll be on 3.2.1 most likely.
  8. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yeah, sadly...

For those who are wondering if you have 3.2 on file, go to your Cydia, it should say on the top left corner. I included a screenshot of Cydia in the first post for those who are wondering how it should look like...
  9. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Anyway to check if your SHSH are stored if you've already been forced to upgrade to 3.2.1?? I'm sure I did when i first jailbroke but I'm having trouble restoring. ITunes saying my iPads not eligible.
  10. iAnas

iAnas Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I think I will wait for the 3.2.1 jailbreak

Or even the ios4 jailbreak