[HOW TO] Disable Restrictions if you forgot the PIN (works on iOS 7, no jailbreak required)

Discussion in 'General iOS discussions' started by ValleyForge, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Update: The path for the plist in the new version of iBackupBot (v4.1.2) is: System Files/HomeDomain/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist

Update 2: Confirmed working on iOS 7.0.4.

My friend came to me with his iPod touch 5 on iOS 6.0.1 and couldn't delete any apps. It turned out that Restrictions had been enabled somehow.
    It used to be that you could simply look at /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist and find the passcode in plain text. That was changed with iOS 5.
    I played around in iBackupBot to disable them, but simply turning off the boolean SBParentalControlsEnabled key didn't seem to do anything. I then tried putting SBParentalControlsFailedAttempts at -999999, which gave me almost infinite attempts, but I gave up after a while (it wasn't any of the top most common iPhone passcodes). I did a ton of Googleing, finding Apple Support threads such as this one. On page 8 of that thread, someone suggests adding the code for the PIN, which was existent before iOS 5, to change the PIN. It worked! So, follow these steps to reset the restrictions passcode on any iDevice to any pin you want (which you can then use to disable restrictions entirely):
    1. Back Up using iTunes - Plug the device into any computer, open iTunes, right-click on the device in the left pane, and click "Back Up".
    2. Install and open iBackupBot - Available for free for Windows and Mac here: http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm
    3. Find and open com.apple.springboard.plist - Click on the newest-made backup in the left, click "Path" at the top to sort by path, and find "Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist". There may be more than one; double-click on the one with the larger size (length).
    4. Add the code - After the following code:
    Code:
    <key>SBParentalControlsMCContentRestrictions</key>
    <dict>
    <key>countryCode</key>
    <string>us</string>
    </dict>
    You want to add this:
    Code:
    <key>SBParentalControlsPIN</key>
    <string>1234</string>
    This will set the PIN to 1234 (you can change 1234 to whatever you want it to be). Save the file (CTRL/Command + S) and close it (CTRL/Command + Q).
    5. Restore the backup to your device - You can do this in iBackupBot by pressing CTRL/Command + T.
    Now your device's restrictions passcode is 1234 (or whatever you put in iBackupBot). To disable restrictions, go to Settings > General > Restrictions, enter the code, tap "Disable Restrictions", and enter the code again. Done.
    Let me know if I helped you by "Like"ing this post, or if you had any trouble/questions by posting below. Thanks for reading my guide, and good luck :)
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    samw40, asphodelia, biikmans and 4 others like this.
  2. dancerdudes

dancerdudes Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Wow. Referring some of my friends to this! Thanks!
    ValleyForge likes this.
  3. Ipodhere

Ipodhere iFans Intern Writer

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    This is great, thank you!

By any chance, is there any way similar to this for lockscreen passcodes? I have a lot of friends who forget their passcode. However, knowing how suspicious that sounds, it may by against the rules right?
  4. ValleyForge

Device:
    Nexus 4
    It's not against the rules to help someone recover their passcode if they forgot it. As for recovering the device's passcode lock, there is a way if it's a limera1n device (A4 and lower). PM me.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    TriforceCollector and Xerox like this.
  5. Vakwhite

Vakwhite New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Awesome tutorial.

I did all the steps but didn't work. Tried on iphone 5 with ios 6.1.3. Have you proved on is 6.1.3?

Thanks for the great job!
  6. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Sweet! :D I have a friend who forgot his restrictions password! Passing on the information! :)
  7. ValleyForge

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I haven't tested it on any iOS higher than 6.0.1, so I don't know. If it doesn't work for you I assume they patched it after seeing my thread :p. Sorry :(
    Zyiros likes this.
  8. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Lol!! :D
    ale624, Vakwhite and ValleyForge like this.
  9. Vakwhite

Vakwhite New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Wait! it works!! AWESOMEE!!

The problem was ibackupbot. When i made the changes and saved the springboard.plist file, ibackupbot aparently shows that file is saved but when reopen it still the same. Instead I used plist editor and restore manually. It Worked!

You Sr have saved my life! Thank you so much!
    ValleyForge likes this.
  10. ValleyForge

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Oh, so it still works! Great :)
    Yeah, iBackupBot is problematic for some people, not sure why.