How to develop your own cuberunner map!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by 6ironmaiden9, Aug 8, 2008.

1. 6ironmaiden9

6ironmaiden9 New Member

CUBERUNNER BACK IN APPSTORE NEW UPDATE

*I know i posted this once before but it has gotten lost somewhere and i had this backup of it and have also reorganized fixed a ton of spelling errors updated links images and even added new stuff!.*

Downloads
    http://persephone.cps.unizar.es/~spd/gzip/ {Mac gzip i think}

http://www.brothersoft.com/wingzip-72797.html - Windows gzip {Must have if windows user}

http://www.serverplus.890m.com/SampleLayout.gz - My test map pack {Not needed}

http://andyqua.co.uk/CubeRunner/samplelayout.gz - {A starter one to get started -- MUST HAVE}

Cuberunner map tutorial please read all if lost please read again or ask a question

Beggining

While you are here it would be nice if you visited my cube runner review : http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78395

http://www.serverplus.890m.com/SampleLayout.gz

^ basic.. I made it in 30 seconds just to test it.. i was typing it standing up walking to the door on my keyboard i barely could drag and drop to ftp XD

Its a crap one not a suggested download but if your bored then go ahead

If you do not know how to make one from that then download that at that link and just edit the x's i believe im not sure how it works exactly but im working on it

-the "zigzag map of his for his tut"

http://andyqua.co.uk/CubeRunner/samplelayout.gz

*His tutorial: http://andyqua.co.uk/CubeRunner/Level_Design.html * mines more explanatory, But his is official

Please Register or Log in to view images

i suggest downloading his gz from that onto your computer dragging the file to your desktop from the .gz "can open with winrar" and then just editing that in wordpad and saving it and uploading it somewhere..

How to install new map packs! *With nice pictures*

Instructions on how to install:
    Step 1 (Open your cuberunner app!.. *Can download from app store straight on ipod/iphone, Or Itunes*)

Step 2 (Place your finger on: Select level pack)

Step 3 (Please place your finger on add level pack)

Step 4 (Click the url so a keyboard comes up!)

Step 5 (Enter url and push ok)

Get Windows Gzip from the download list at the top!.

*If on mac* Get Mac Gzip from the download list at the top!.

Step 1 {Download one of the map packs in the download list, At the top of the thread! -Preferably the andy qua one

}

*Extract the file to your Desktop or wherever and open with your choice of a text editor, Everyone should work as long as it doesn't scramble the lines.*

Level layout

Edit the X's in the way you would like them to show up so for example

Code:
    @deflayout SampleLayout
    Intro 15 0
    test 15 1
    loop 1
    @end deflayout
    @level test
    x     x
    x     x
    x     x
    x     x
    @end level

The boxes would be in a line *each X represents a box* 
    So the X'S would be in a line with a few space between them! other effects you can do

Code:
    @deflayout SampleLayout
    Intro 15 0
    test 15 1
    loop 1
    @end deflayout
    @level test
    x    x
     x    x
       x    x
         x    x
          x    x
            x   x
              x   x
    @end level

It would be like
    ------- < START
    []    []
     []    []
       []    []
         []    []
          []    []
            [] ^  []
              []   []  *^ represents space ship coming down*
             ---------- < END or LOOP

Code:
    [SIZE="4"]What does this code mean!..[/SIZE]

@deflayout Sample Layout < that tells that your starting the layout and its going to be named Sample Layout deflayout i believe means define layout

Intro 15 1  "Intro means that the intro begins there" "The 15 is how fast you go at the intro" "1 is day or night, 0 is night 1 is day"

zigzag 20 1 "Zigzag defines that this is where the actual part of the level starts" "20 is how fast you'll be going through the level" "1 is of course day or night through the level not just the beggining intro blocks."

loop 0 "Too be honest im not sure what this means.. I believe it means how many times you want the level to loop before you finish?"

@end deflayout "This is what notes that all the info is finished like how fast your going the time the day what parts what ect"

@level zigzag "Defines where the level starts"

----

x       x < "X's are boxes!"

x       x

x       x

x       x

x       x

x       x

x       x

x       x

x       x

x       x

@end level < " Is the end of the script/ level and it tells the level that its finished and if you have loop i guess you can keep going through it"

Getting your map onto your ipod!

After building your level and changing the name inside you can then once saved exit it.
    and right click on the file and click rename and rename it from there *DO NOT ADD EXTENSION JUST MAKE SURE ITS JUST A NAME*

After Gzip is installed, Gzip the samplelayout file up and host it on your site and then refer to the map adding tutorial *WITH PICS* above. Then just add your url in... and your done its added it will be in selected level pack by what name you set it SampleLayout..

If you followed this tutorial you shouldn't have any issues with crashing.. If any more questions please add or any corrections
  2. 6ironmaiden9

6ironmaiden9 New Member

Faq

how do I get my creation so i can upload it onto my ipod? it has to be a URL right? how do i make my creation into a URL so i can type it into the cube runner game?

"Answer: Umm this idk find a free host that has ftp and add it to the ftp i guess im sorry i cant help much heretry to find a free host im opening up a public ftp later for hosting of these once you have it uploaded type in the url on your ipod like my tut shows"
    -------

What website can i upload it to? "

Answer: Whatever one that'll let you host it there try looking around the forums about google pages theres some tuts on google pages.."
    --------------

can i make my level in any word program? like wordpad?

"Answer: anything as long as it goes down and not just 1 line sideways like some wordpads do but yes wordpad and notepad.. or w/e you use im sure it'll work as long as you save it and make sure that the text isn't messed up.
    ----------

how do i get it into a .gz? i have that program u have on your big tutorial but i dont know how to use it.

"Answer: For the windows version double click it install it then open it up it wont make a icon so go into program files and find gnuwin32 or w/e and run it and click compress and then find the file and click compress it'll compress it"
    ---------

Explaining how random blocks work

how do you make random blocks?

"Answer: Taken from the owner of cube runners site : There is an additional level format that you can use which is:

Random <Duration> <Speed> <Difficulty> <Day/Night>

This defines a level that is comprised of random blocks.

Speed and Day/Night are the same as defined above.

Duration is how long the random layout lasts and is in seconds.

Difficulty is a number between 0 and 100 and is the chance of a block being placed at any moment. Suggested values are 20 for easy and 60 for difficult... so i guess it'd be
    Code:
    @deflayout SampleLayout
    Intro 15 0
    random 20 15 20 1
    test 15 1 < Then i think have that for after the random blocks 
    loop 1
    @end deflayout
    @level test
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    @end level

Code:
    random 20 15 20 1 
    *Random means this is where it gets random which would be after the intro*

*The first 20 is how long youd be playing before randomness ended so right after intro youd play for 20 seconds with random blocks then youd go into the normal one test thing i think ive never did random* 

*The 15 represents speed as it does in others so yeah the higher the more speed...* 

*the 2nd 20 means the difficulty the more you go up the higher it gets* *1 means day or night.. 1 = day 0 = night*

Tips and things you can do to modify your levels!

Tips!

*Tips: Where on mine it says test 15 or maybe zigzag 15 depends what you got or what you named yours that means that the intro one is for the beginning of the level and the next down is for the rest of the level*

*Tips: For added effect put 0 for nighttime*

*Tips: The number 15 after "Intro" is how fast your going 10 is slow 20 is moderate 35 is fast.. You may go further then that but the level may become extremely hard and unplayable!..*

*Tips: After "Test" where it says 15 that is the difficulty the higher you go up the harder it gets!"This will make it harder at blocks popping up at any second i believe"*

*Tips: I do not believe you are allowed to tab or it will mess your application up!*

Developer mode

Developer mode is something to be taken advantage of on the new update of cuberunner 1.1 Too activate developer mode go into

*Once on homepage of cuberunner click the (I) Icon in the bottom left or right depends what mode your in and click settings then click turn developer mode on and click accept*

What this mode allows is for you to test your maps you made without crashing you can go through all blocks without crashing "Scores not counted" This makes it so you can test you'r map fully without failure

---------

I hope you enjoyed this and i will be updating more!.
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  4. 6ironmaiden9

6ironmaiden9 New Member

5. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  6. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  7. 6ironmaiden9

6ironmaiden9 New Member

Thank you people i wish rep was still here :/ oh well i hope you like it please post and keep it bumped
  8. 6ironmaiden9

6ironmaiden9 New Member

Sorry for not being able too update my original post, I got stung by a stingray and had to be hospitalized so sorry :/
  9. littlelarry33

littlelarry33 New Member

10. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

This is a really nice tutorial. I am going to upload my maps now!