How to develop modern Cydia Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by TchnclFl, Sep 27, 2010.

1. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know there have been a few threads on this, but none of them really seem to be saying what I want to know.

I'm interested in learning to develop Cydia apps. I absolutely refuse to use the iPhone SDK (1. don't want to pay the $100, 2. don't have a Mac, and don't plan on buying one, 3. the principal of the matter

Please Register or Log in to view images

), so I'm looking for alternatives.

I've read some about the gcc toolchain for iOS 2.x, but that's pretty dang old, and seems outdated.

What I want to do is (eventually) make some basic apps for 4.1, but until I can JB my iPT4g that's not really useful, so I'm interested in making some for my other iPod Touch, currently on 3.1.3 (JB).

My question to you wise people is: How does one go about this. I've googled my heart out in every phrasing I can possibly imagine, but can't seem to find a shred of a tutorial. I don't know much Objective-C at ALL, so right now I'll settle for getting a simple Hello World script to compile and run from my SB.

Any help would be great

2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Learn some coding and learn your way around iOS file system.
  3. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That doesn't tell me how to compile or anything though...Regardless of whether or not I can code / navigate the file system (which I can, by the way), I need some kind of toolchain to compile the apps.
  4. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Just to let you know, the SDK is free. you dont have to be a paying developer to download it.

But you would need a mac.

Hackintosh it, and use the SDK?

tbh, most devs are using the SDK, it is so much more convienent than trying to build the toolchain on windows or linux.
  5. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I should have rephrased, sorry. I know the SDK is free unless you want to publish to the App Store. I have only one hackintoshable machine (Dell Mini 9), but to be honest I just can't get the damn thing to work with OSX. Plus I'd also have to buy OSX, which I don't want to do.
  6. username_

username_ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You don't need to buy it.

7. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    But I do want to stay within the law.
  8. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Modern cydia packages have a data.tar.gz and control.tar.gz

Control.tar.gz
    Has a file which is opened and has some text displaying it's dependencies and stuff
    Data.tar.gz
    The actual package a you need to correspond to the correct directory. For instance a hello app would go into applications.

When packaging you need to have a data.tar.gz and a folder called Fenian with control in it. Then it is compiled into a debian file on a Mac or more inconviniently through Winscp.

I learnt this from depackaging debs and discovery, to devloep apps you would need to know about c and propertylists and some other stuff.

Correct me if i am wrong, typed from my ipod
  9. mazafaka

mazafaka New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    there are quiet a few tutorials about setting up a toolchain on an 3.X iOS. I did that once, but that's risky and might not work some (I ruined my file system for instance). I used this guide.

Another thing I'm trying now is setting up an virtual machine with OSX. I read on StackOverflow it works like a charm.