How to deal with wet iPods/iPhones

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by J-Phone, Jul 20, 2010.

1. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So you got your iPod wet, don't know what to do? Just follow these tips to give your iPod a higher chance of surviving.

Please Register or Log in to view images

- Don't try to turn it on at all.

- If it's still on force it to shut down by holding the home and power buttons.

- Dry the excess water with a towel or a napkin.

- Get uncooked rice and use it to cover up the iPod.(Use either a bowl or a zip lock bag)

- Leave it there for a few days or weeks.

- When you feel like the time is right take out the iPod and try turning it on. If it doesn't turn on then the chances are that it's damaged.

- If you still have either the Store warranty or the Apple warranty use a flash light to look into the earphone jack for a iPod Touch and look into the earphone jack and the dock for a iPhone.

iPhone:

iPod Touch:

- If you see any signs of red/pink then your out of luck.

- If you don't know what to do with your water damaged iPod/iPhone there's a good chance you can sell it on eBay for over $50 as a 'as is' or 'parts' listing.

Tips:
    Don't have any rice? You can go down to a local Asian store and check if they have some. Half a pound bag of white rice is usually around $4.

If you still can't find rice then try leaving the device somewhere hot for it to try.
  2. theodore214

theodore214 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice little guide, hopefully it will help cut down on the many threads about wet iPods. Never knew about that red thing.
    Also, the first pic made me lol.
  3. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice guide, will help a lot of people. I think this should be stickied.
  4. YoMommaSoFat

YoMommaSoFat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    FYI, I remember reading somewhere that the red in the headphone jack/dock is because Apple put litmus paper in there, so I'm assuming that when that litmus paper reacts with the water, it turns blue.
  5. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I believe that's also a very bad idea... If I were you and it didn't go off, let it stay on, til the battery dies, pressing that button could be all it takes to fry it.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    It's most likely cobalt chloride, not litmus. CoCl2 changes colour exclusively when in contact with water, whereas litmus is just a crude PH indicator.

Aaanyway, good guide. One thing, Power & Home reboots it, not a force shutdown.
  7. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes it is litmus paper. No it is not red normally, it is white and when water touches it, it changes to red.
  8. Korea

Korea Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You guys should back up your so called "facts" with rock solid evidence. I'd like to know what it really is (the chemical reactive strip that's used).
  9. YoMommaSoFat

YoMommaSoFat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Old iPhone:

iPod touch:

iPod nano:

iPod classic:

iPod shuffle (3rd generation):

Those are the pictures showing the liquid contact indicator paper for each iPod/iPhone model. I got them from: iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty

According to the Apple support page I mentioned above, only iPhone models and iPod models that were built after 2006 have built-in Liquid Contact Indicators that will show whether the device has been in contact with water or a liquid containing water.
  10. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well devices before 2006 would be way out of warranty so this isn't for them.