How to: custom font on springboard

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by fatty matty, Sep 12, 2008.

1. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member

OK well i was looking for this for ages and got no answers and i looked at skylerEC's thread and he said that thats outdated so this is how to get a custom font on a jailbroken 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 or 2.1.

STEP 1

Terms for this tutorial:
    Font Family is the font class, a font family may have many similar fonts, these fonts have different names and slightly different styles. eg Arial, Helvetica, Calibri are font families
    Font Name is the name given to a font eg. Calibri, Calibri Bold, Calibri Italic are fonts in the Calibri font family
    Font File Name is the filename for the font file. eg. Calibri.ttf, CalibriBold.ttf
    Note: changing the filename for a Font File *does not* change the Font Name for that file. i’ve seen many people tryin to get fonts to work by renaming the files. it simply won’t work because no matter how many times you change the filename, the metadata contained in the file remains the same. a Helvetica font is a Helvetica font whether it’s named Helvetica.ttf or Calibri.ttf

Copy the fonts:

Start > Run, or WinKey + R if you are on windows, i dont know how to do it on a mac
    STEP 2
    Type fonts in the Run window that opens
    STEP 3
    Hit Enter
    STEP 4
    This will open the Fonts folder. alternatively you can open it through My Computer C:/Windows/Fonts/ [where C:/ is your windows drive]
    STEP 5
    Make a new folder Calibri on your Desktop
    STEP 6
    Find the Calibri fonts in the Fonts folder and select and drag them to the Calibri folder, or use copy/paste.
    STEP 7
    The fonts will have these file names
    Calibri: calibri.ttf
    Calibri Bold: calibrib.ttf
    Calibri Italic: calibrii.ttf
    Calibri Bold Italic: calibriz.ttf
    STEP 8[/SIZE
    ] Rename the font files to these names
    Calibri: Calibri.ttf
    Calibri Bold: CalibriBold.ttf
    Calibri Italic: CalibriItalic.ttf
    Calibri Bold Italic: CalibriBoldItalic.ttf
    I prefer not to have spaces in the filenames that i’m going to put on my iPhone.

STEP 9
    now we have to Install fonts on iPhone

STEP 10
    Connect to your iPhone using WinSCP or Fugu via it’s IP address. username: root, password: alpine
    STEP 11
    Navigate to this folder /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/
    STEP 12
    Create a new folder MyFonts in the Cache folder
    we’ll copy our new fonts in this folder so that they are easily identifiable and properly organized.

STEP 13
    Copy the four files for Calibri font to the MyFonts folder
    STEP 14
    Navigate to the folder /System/Library/Fonts/
    STEP 15
    Copy the file CGFontCache.plist to your desktop and use this link to convert it to plain xml format. http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi
    STEP 16
    Open the converted CGFontCache.plist file with your favorite text editor.
    STEP 17
    There are two sections in this file you need to edit Names and TraitMappings
    Names is an array which has key value pairs of the Font Name and the Font file name.
    it has the following syntax

<key>Font Name</key>
    <string>Full Path to Font File</string>
    in this section add these lines at the start

<key>Calibri</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Fonts/Cache/MyFonts/Calibri.ttf</string>
    <key>Calibri Bold</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Fonts/Cache/MyFonts/CalibriBold.ttf</string>
    <key>Calibri Italic</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Fonts/Cache/MyFonts/CalibriItalic.ttf</string>
    <key>Calibri Bold Italic</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Fonts/Cache/MyFonts/CalibriBoldItalic.ttf</string>
    TraitMappings is an array which maps the various font styles to fonts of a font family.
    it has the following syntax

<key>Font Family Name</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Plain</key>
    <string>Font Name</string>
    <key>Bold</key>
    <key>Italic</key>
    <key>Bold-Italic</key>
    </dict>
    Note: the four elements are fixed, you can not use any other values for these, they must be Plain, Bold, Italic, Bold-Italic. The font name will vary from font to font. If you don’t have a particular font for a font family simply exclude the respective lines from it’s entry, ie if you only have Plain and Bold fonts use only the Plain and Bold <key>,<string> pairs and exclude the Italic and Bold-Italic pairs.

in this section add these lines at the start

<key>Calibri</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Plain</key>
    <string>Calibri</string>
    <key>Bold</key>
    <string>Calibri Bold</string>
    <key>Italic</key>
    <string>Calibri Italic</string>
    <key>Bold-Italic</key>
    <string>Calibri Bold Italic</string>
    </dict>
    STEP 18 Respring/Reboot your iPhone to load the new fonts and test them.

The above text is from gaurav's blog which you can look at by clicking on that link he has some fonts on there that you can use but i dont think it matters what one you use cause i just used one that was in my fonts

STEP 19
    donwload this file http://[PIRACY.rs].com/files/144647611/Springboard_Font.zip.html and extract it and open up the folder and open up the file with note pad or something and where it says "put your font name here" put the font family name eg. i put REZ because that is the font i used so in mine it said
    undocked icon labels
    <string>font-family: REZ; font-size: 12px </string>
    and there will be another one next to it that says docked icon labels

then save it and put the folder in /Library/Themes and then set it to your theme on winterboard and you will have a custom font on your spring board if you did step 1 and 2 correctly

Credit goes to gaurav for the tut on how to put font on your ipod and also to spoonforknife for his package on cydia that i used to find out how to do this.
  2. Boss Kamikaze

Boss Kamikaze New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    nice one man
  3. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member

thanks i really wanted to make a tut cause i was looking for ages n how to do this and as soon as i figured it out i made this
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

If you go on cydia, I have a package called Winterboard Font Pack that enables custom springboard fonts for the plethora of built in fonts including Times New Roman and Courier...
  5. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member

yea i know thats how got to know how to do it i got one of the fonts and changed it il put credit to you in the first post