Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

How To Create Your Own Wallpaper!

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by mackydude, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mackydude

mackydude New Member

Hey everybody, this is my first tutorial so please bear with me :). This tutorial will show you how to create your very own wallpaper. Just to let you know, the wallpaper is the picture on the front of your screen when you turn on your iPod.
    NOTE: Screenshots of different steps and private help is available on request. Just private message me or post on this thread.

So, in the end, this is what it should look like:
    Original picture:

[​IMG]
    Picture on iPod:

[​IMG]
    Programs needed for this tutorial (both are freeware):
    #1. WinSCP which can be found at http://www.download.com/WinSCP/3000-2160_4-10400769.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10815710
    #2. GIMP 2 which can be found at http://www.download.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10850541

Step 1. Make sure your iPod is turned on and plugged into your computer.

Step 2. Find a picture on the internet, or that you made, and right click it. Select copy.

Step 3. Create a new project on GIMP. Right when you create the new project a pop-up will appear asking you for the width and the height. Make the width 320 and the height 480. Press OK.

Step 4. Paste the picture that you copied earlier into the project on GIMP. PC: Paste with Ctrl + V. Mac: Paste with Apple + V. While still in your project, press Shift + T, opening up the Scale window. Make the width 320 and the height 480, then press 'Scale'.

Step 5. Press M, changing the cursor into the Move tool. Drag your picture to make sure it matches the white outline of the project.

Step 6. Congratulations! You have successfully scaled and created your wallpaper. On GIMP 2, there is an unlimited amount of changes you can make to your picture. Feel free to edit your picture as you like, but I cannot help you here. After you have finished editing your picture (follow this step even if you didn't edit it), click 'File', then 'Save as'. Make the name of your wallpaper: Wallpaper. NOTE: It is VERY important that the W is uppercased. Make the destination of the picture your Desktop. Then, click on Select File Type. Scroll down until you find PNG image. Select that, then click Save. If a screen comes up, just click on Export.

Step 7. Now it's time to put the wallpaper on your iPod. On your iPod, go to Settings, then to Wi-Fi. Under the wireless network that you are using, press the right arrow key thats next to the name. IMPORTANT: Keep this screen up until we are done accessing your iPod. Open WinSCP, then click on New. Under the host name, type in the I.P. address of your wireless network. Your I.P. address can be found on the screen on your iPod that we just opened. On WinSCP, make sure that the Port number is set to 22. Under User Name type 'root', and under Password type in 'alpine'. Then, click Save (this is so you don't have to type in the same information every time you access your iPod). Then click OK, then click OK again. Now, WinSCP should go back to the screen that you started off on, except there will be text there saying 'root@your_I.P._address_here'. Click on that once, then click login.

Step 8. A pop-up window should appear, showing your computer files and folders on the left, and 3 iPod folders on the right. The 3 folders on the right should say:
    Wallpaper
    Media
    Library
    Double click on the Wallpaper folder. Depending on how many pictures you have on your iPod already, a list should appear showing many different files. For example, one of the files will look like this: 00_iPod.png. On the left side of the pop-up window - the side that shows your computer's files - navigate to your desktop. On the desktop, locate the file 'Wallpaper.png' that we made earlier, and drag that into your Wallpapers folder on your iPod. CONGRATULATIONS!! You now have created your very own Wallpaper. IMPORTANT: When you are finished putting the wallpaper onto your iPod, close WinSCP so that the file can transfer safely.

Please tell me what you think of this tutorial, as it is my first. This is so I can see what I need to improve on. Thanks, Mackydude.
  2. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

Great Guide!
    this will come in handy for many theme makers
  3. mackydude

mackydude New Member

thanks man
  4. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Nice!! It seems pretty easy. Im gonna do this but I'm gonna use Paint.net. :D
  5. mackydude

mackydude New Member

ok cool. i looked at the paint.net website and i actually think i might start using that. it looks the same as photoshop and its FREEEEEE. lol
  6. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks man. I am now making a ton of wallpapers.
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well written guide ;) Although the spacing of the content and how it's presented could be changed so that it's more easy to follow and looks more presenting.
  8. JRthaMac

JRthaMac New Member

I dont know if I'm missing the whole point of this, but on my ipod I can just Upload any picture through itunes, move and scale it on my ipod and then apply it as a wallpaper. That takes about 1 minute, max.
  9. MarauderBlack

MarauderBlack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iTunes' definition of a wallpaper is one that shows on your lockscreen. i think everyone else is talking about one thats customizable via summerboard or winterboard to replace the blackness behind your icons on the homescreen
  10. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    This thread is way outdated. There are better ways to do this now and the directories that you put them in are different now. No need to post here.