How to create/convert an image to be used as a logo/restore image in WINDOWS

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by yasha613, Apr 7, 2009.

1. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

Creating/converting your own custom png file for a replacement logo/restore screen:

Background:
    To make your own logo's you need to:
    convert/create then save an image as png format.
    This PNG format image has to have at least 1 transparent pixel
    be 320x480 in the canvas size (overall picture dimensions in pixels).
    And be saved as less than 200k in filesize!
    You can do this easily with Paint.net which is freeware.

Note:
    I usually just crop/resize down a picture to below the 320(width)x480(height) dimensions, then just make the actual canvas size 320x480, so it meets the dimension requirement without losing anything I want of the picture, and then do the below to the extra canvas that's created.

Actual Instructions:
    1. Select what you want to make transparent using the selection tool in paint.net
    **Anything you make transparent will show up black on the ipod when used as a logo/restore screen.
    2. Hit the delete key(or right-click and delete), this will remove that piece and make it transparent.
    3. Save as png, just keep the filesize below 200k and make sure it saves the transparent pixels.
    4. Make sure paint.net saved with your transparent pixel(s), it will turn them white or black if your changing the color depth, thus negating the transparent pixel(s) you made and you'll have to redo it/them after you save, then save a second time.
    5. Import into your custom firmware with quickfreedom or redtool, etc.

Extra flashing notes:
    If you get an error code 6 on restore and it throws you back into it, your image is seen as invalid. Redo your logo(s). If you want to be SURE it'll work, save as 8-bit (remember to make sure when you save it actually saves the transparent pixel(s)).

Testing notes:
    I did experience a rather odd instability issue when I NOR flashed with a 32 bit png logo once in testing. This could be co-incidence, result of corrupt file packaged, an improperly loading app while in the ipod (as it came up ok the first time after the restore), or the image itself. I had odd flickering on boot, almost like when you either have bad memory on a PC, or have OC'd the machine too high resulting in memory corruption, then it would lock up and I had to reboot several times to get it to function again to even re-flash an NOR image again.
    I'm completely using my "wtf" face on this one as I'm unsure as to what the cause of that issue was, and that in itself bugs me.

If you experience the above issue similarly after replacing a logo please post here and give specifics on what/how/res/colordepth used.

Done.
    Easy as that.
  2. Achy9

Achy9 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nice tutorial. Cheers.
  3. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    good tutorial. i thought images are 200kb and under?
  4. yasha613

yasha613 New Member

The youtube video I saw I'm pretty sure said 100k, but to be honest I don't think it matters. Verifying some of it now.

EDIT: ok, actually some of the vid I saw was wrong. It needs:
    1 transparent pixel saved
    and just be under 200k to work.
    It can be saved up to 32bit so long as it's under that.
    Paint try's to negate the transparency though, so you have to do the delete again when saving as higher than 8bit.

Edited tutorial to reflect findings of the multiple re-flashes I did to verify this.