How to create a new Badge theme in a matter of seconds

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by TheAppleTree, Jul 2, 2008.

1. TheAppleTree

TheAppleTree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone
    You may have noticed that my posts are few and far-between these days. My obligations in other parts of my life are picking up, and frankly they are only going to get more demanding as time goes on. IPTF has been an incredibly fun distraction for me, and I want to give back something before I step out of the spotlight here.

I have been totally blown away by how the community has taken Badge and run with it. It's become so much more than anything I could have imagined. So, to thank you for all the love you've shown for my work, I'm going to make things a lot easier for you.

I'm posting the master templates for the normal icons, glass icons, dock, calendar, and status bar right here. The really handy thing I'm giving you, though, is the actual Photoshop action which does all of the work for you.

Here's how you use this stuff:
    - Open Badge GlassRimIcons or Badge Icons in Photoshop
    - Double click the Apple Tree Themes.atn file
    - Photoshop will automatically open with that action highlighted
    - Make whatever changes you want to backing for Badge, taking care not to rename any of the layers in the "Icons" set
    - Create a folder on your C drive named icons: ex/ "C:\Icons"
    - Go to you Actions tab and click play (Note, you'll want to make sure all of the icons in the icon layer are invisible before you do that)

And there you have it. Photoshop will begin saving off all of your icons to that folder. Wait until it's entirely done before you move the folder or try to do anything else in Photoshop (Generally takes about 2 and a half minutes on my computer, but will vary depending on your compy's specs). Obviously I hope to see you guys do more with this than just Badge themes. You can do any kind you want and simply use the glyphs to Badge.

The danger here is that a lot of the new themes in the community will start to look kind of the same. I urge you to create your own glyphs for a lot of the regular apps (sms, maps, weather, etc.) and use the Badge glyphs to fill out your set. This action will automatically generate 301 icons for you.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

2. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    TheAppleTree, that is a wonderful gesture. you dont know (well you do) how much time that will save people. just ran it and it works like a dream (except i should have turned off the apple logo before i ran the action cos now i got 2 glyphs on every icon). but hey it so easy im gonna go do it agaian

i hope this helps to continue this theme running on and on and on. but i hope it doesnt mean the end of TAT on here????? waiting for more and more from you after the impact of badge

edit: tried it again. this is just too awesome. tell me, if we decide to make icons outside of the 302!!!! that you did, can we edit that action to include it in future runoffs?
  3. fatty matty

fatty matty New Member

4. Mattyoak

Mattyoak New Member

5. Linux

Linux Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice Job!!!
  6. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

to answer my own question, yeah you can. and its so easy. thankyou thankyou thankyou
  7. TheAppleTree

TheAppleTree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone
    No problem! Yes, as you said, it's really easy to add new icons to the action. If anyone needs help with that, I'll gladly post a short tutorial

8. emergent

emergent New Member

Could you please post a short tutorial on how to make a new badge icon with the actions? I'm not sure I understand what I need to do exactly.
  9. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

this is very nice, i havn't had a need to do this before but i can see when it would be useful
  10. eTom

eTom New Member

New color

I realize this is an old, OLD thread and that TheAppleTree has stepped out of the theming scene, but I have a question for those that are familiar with her Badge PSD file and Photoshop in general.

I've used the PSD file to add in a bunch of custom glyphs and even created a new action that saves only the icons I actually use...

Where I am having trouble is changing the colors beyond the stock ones that came with the file. I'm not very familiar with Photoshop, so I'm unsure how to create a new color template in the Icon Backing -> Colors section of the layer list.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!