[HOW-TO] Convert Video Formats for iDevice's & Android

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nickmadkiller, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010

Please Register or Log in to view images

HOW-TO Convert Video Formats for iDevice's & Android

[2013 and a Half Edition]

Have you looked around for programs to convert video formats but haven't found the right software to use? Then you have come to the right place. Handbrake is a great platform that is reliable, lightweight, and gets the job done with a user-friendly experience that anybody can use.

In this HOW-TO I will be giving step by step instructions and details of this fantastic program that makes watching movies, tv, and anything video related by turning any video format into an MP4 for iDevices.

Some of the primary reasons we like our iDevices is because we can do almost anything a desktop computer or laptop can do. We can watch movies, play games, socialize, make phone calls, and all sorts of things.​
    Some times though our devices are restricted to what kind of content we can use. Flash for example. You won't be able to use programs that use or require flash because Apple does not allow it.

Apple as well doesn't allow you to view formats such as avi , mkv, and many other video formats that are used by users, so this makes watching movies very limited and restricted to a certain format.

Having this limitation can be troublesome because the only real way to put movies or TV on your device is to buy it from the iTunes store. Problem is what if you rip movies and TV shows to your computer and want to watch it on the go but you can't because your iDevice is restricted from using these formats?

Well this is where Handbrake comes in. It makes converting any video format whether it be 240p all the way to 1080p possible.

Here in this HOW-TO I will give step by step instructions and ways to use this program without having to figure it all out by yourself.

Requirements,Hardware Used, and Compatibility

**Any Windows PC or OS (XP and up) or Macintosh
    **Download Link : http://handbrake.fr/

**For iPod Touch 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation on the Devices part of the handbrake program make sure you use the iPhone & iPod Touch option on step 3 of the tutorial. This goes for iPhone 2G,3G,and 3GS as well.

**This 2013 & a Half Edition of the HOW-TO will be using 0.9.9 version of Handbrake and it will also be the 64 bit version as of 5/26/2013

**As of 1/5/2013 this entire process went through the new specs that I acquired recently compared to the older hardware used in the 2010 and 2012 versions.

**The following are a few of the hardware specs I used during the conversion and HOW-TO.

*Windows 8 Professional Edition (64 bit)
    *AMD Radeon 7850 2GB (HIS IceQ)
    *Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3450 Quad Core (3.1ghz)
    *8GB RAM (1600mhz) DDR3
    *Mushkin 60GB SSD SATA III

**Step 1 - Select the video file you are wanting to use. I chose Game of Thrones Episode One of Season One for the 2013 and A Half HOW-TO Edition. I should note that this is a Blu-Ray video file (or MKV format) and it's 5-6GB's in size. Another thing is that this particular MKV is at 1980 x 1080 resolution so I'm doing a massive decrease in resolution from MKV to MP4 so it will fit the iDevice.

**Step 2 - After you choose the file then you need to go to "browse" and select a destination for your converted file to go to.

**Step 3 - Select the type of device you want to convert your video file into. You have many choices on Apple products and even Android products. I can't say how it is on Android since I haven't used one for testing. I will be using the iPhone and iPod Touch preset since it works the most for me.

**Step 4 - Now that you have all-of-the-above finished now you can proceed on

*& More

Make sure you have it set for MP4 format.You can locate the area to set it for MP4 in the Video Filters area from Step 4. If it's not in the MP4 format then iTunes won't allow your iDevice to have the file synced to it.

So this is up to you to choose which you like. Raising the quality bar will have a significant value on how many GB's and MB's you're dealing with, so having a lower quality will of course make a smaller video file and vice versa. Also lowering the resolution will also play a significant role in how large or small the file is.

Now I'm going to give my options for my converting of what sort of setup I'm using for the 2013 and A Half Edition and GoT SO1EO1.

I recommend when choosing what framerates to use is to go ahead and stick with the same as source option and constant framerate so it's smooth and has no future issues. For audio I set the audio to be stereo since I'm using an iDevice and changing the bit rate for 320 that way I get very nice audio that is nice and not low quality. This again will affect the size of your file but audio doesn't do too much effect on the size so go ahead and max that puppy out for ear candy.

Now it's time for the quality of the video file. The nob "video" on step 4 I chose QP:1 this time in the 2013 and A Half Edition instead of the Q:10 nob in the previous editions. This way I can show off the picture quality as maxed as possible for the iDevice.

On the "Picture" nob I chose 480 x 270 resolution so it fits my screen well and isn't a really high resolution so the file size isn't massive while fitting onto my iDevice. Make sure you don't go any higher than the native iDevice's resolution range because you will get very choppy frame rates so make sure you keep it within range and don't go past it. I recommend staying below the 720 x 480 threshold for the iPhone 4 since it won't display the video feedback smoothly for some reason. I believe it's most likely apple limited it to not display that high of a resolution. If you use an iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or a 5th gen iPod Touch higher the resolutions may work since they're newer and more powerful but as I only have an iPhone 4 I can only test it.

So that's my options for my converting. All you have to do now that your options are set is press "Start" at the top and it will begin the process. This may take quite a bit of time depending on the quality of the overall product you're converting and your system specs. If you use older hardware it may take a significant amount of time. If you're using newer hardware like I am it shouldn't take but 10 minutes to thirty on average when dealing with 1080p lossless versions.

The picture right below are the details I got with my old computer that I did back in the 2012 edition and as it shows with an older computer with poor hardware it'll take a while to convert. This is also taken from the older handbrake that I used in that edition so there has been a large UI change in the years. Personally I like the new UI quite a bit.

With my new PC gaming rig you can clearly see the change in time and process clearly.

As you can see right up above my new hardware (specs are up there) the whole conversion process takes a massive leap forward into not taking much time at all. The new hardware increased the framerate by a crap load and shrunk the time about ten times less than the older computer I used in the 2010-2012 Edition.

I'll just go ahead and give my basic specs so you have a basic idea of what my older computer was using compared to the new hardware I use that I listed above.

Windows Xp Professional (32bit)
    *Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz Single Core
    *Galaxy 9500 GT 1GB Nvidia
    *2GB of RAM (200-300mhz) DDR2

So if you have new hardware then you should be done converting in no time at all which I have to say is pretty nice since it would take 2+ hours on my old computer I was using for 5 years or so. If you use old hardware the conversion will still work but expect much slower conversions.

According to the website the 64 bit version of handbrake (which I'm using) is 10% faster overall than the 32 bit so if you have a 64 bit system then make sure you're making use of the 64 bit and not the 32 bit.
    Troubleshooting Issues I experienced with iTunes
    Previously mentioned in the 2010,2012, and 2013 Edition. I did not have this problem at all in the 2013 and a Half Edition though.
    I have had problems getting iTunes to sync videos that I have converted before in the past by using the iPhone 4 option and when I was trying to sync the converted movie iTunes was having issues and wouldn't allow it to be synced. The main reasons are because I was using a higher resolution from what the device can take but there may be other factors involved.

So if you're wanting to get a successful try then I recommend lowering the resolution for the iPhone 4 option at step 3 at 800 x 600 or even lower for converting.

Now even though iTunes failed I have a little handy app called VLC mobile which unluckily isn't available or has been available on the App store for around two years or so now. Though since the chances are you don't have this program you'll just have to use lower settings for converting so iTunes can sync it successfully. This all depends on your iDevice though since devices will vary on compatibility. If all else fails you're guaranteed to have iTunes transfer it over if you go with the iPod Touch & iPhone preset and choose 480 x 270 resolution since Iv'ed never had any issues using that resolution or preset.

Okay so now that you have converted the file you're ready to sync with iTunes. All you do is go on iTunes and then you select the movie file like you would a song. Then after that select sync to your iPhone like a song or app and now your phone will have the movie or video file on your iPhone.

So maybe you're wondering what the results look like compared to the 1080p version. Now since when I take a screenshot from the iPhone and extract it to the desktop it's going to look worse due to it being automatically larger than the iPhone. So at the same resolution the screenshot is and you put it onto your iPhone the picture quality is MUCH better so know that it'll look even better than here on an iDevice that is the iPhone 4 or 4th gen iPod Touch and up.

Because I maxed out the quality of the audio and video settings the 5-6GB file ended up still being large but only being 770+Mb's compared to the 5-6GB's.

Once you complete the whole conversion and have the movie onto your iPhone or iPod Touch you're done and can repeat the process with your collection of videos.

Other Information & Change Log
    To uninstall this program just go to your Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel as you would to uninstall other programs.

This program is lightweight therefore it leaves very little and can be removed very easily.

I would also like to add that it doesn't just have to be movie files or TV it can be trailers, youtube videos, and all sorts of video content, so you can put all your video media on your iDevices or Android devices on the go.
    *Change Log
    **9/18/10 - Debut of HOW-TO/Tutorial
    **2/26/12 - Updated entire thread due to new website format debuted in 2012.
    **4/2/12 - Fixed photos not showing up properly due to new iFans website format, while also fixing spelling errors, editing information, and adding new logos.

**4/11/12 - Added new banner, edited title, and removed some texts.
    **6/5/12 - Gave information regarding compatibility with the older iPod touches and iPhones . Lot's of editing, polishing, and fixing grammar errors. Added the final touches of the Outro section and edited large portions of the Other Info area.
    **6/14/12 - Minor changes.
    **9/22/12 - Punctuation, sentence structure, and a few other fixes were fixed/changed. Also removed bits and pieces of unwanted info. Added new banner below thread, and edited the change log so it's smaller, while being efficient.

**1/5/13 - 2013 Edition has arrived. Color changes, banner changes, major editing on sentences, new hardware, and many more significant changes. New photos to show after conversion results.
    **2/15/13 - Minor changes.

**5/26/13 - 2013 & a Half Edition has arrived. New conversion, fonts, pictures, and large amounts of editing were given.
    **6/30/13 - Improved Change-Log

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    iFanz fan likes this.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
  3. iFanz fan

iFanz fan New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Thank you Nmk, but i have no joy with transferring a converted avi-to-MP4 movie to my Touch 5G... i opened iTunes on my PC & i believe i put it in my library correctly. Maybe it's the video specs with HandBrake?

• AirPlay mirroring and video out to Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation)
    • Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
    • H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013