[How-to] Cheat every aspect of Pokemon

Discussion in 'Gameboy Advance emulator (gpSPhone)' started by iDestiny, Jul 22, 2010.

1. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    How to thoroughly cheat GBA Pokemon Games on GPSPhone: Very In-depth
    You need to be ok with computers and emulators. I recommend that you try something basic first and make sure it works, before moving on, and mastering the rest. Guide comes from more than 3 years of emulating experience.

Works for:
    = Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald
    = Pokemon Fire Red (or hack ShinyGold)/Leaf Green
    = Should be compatible with every iPhone/iTouch/iPad jailbroken

If you're using Pokemon FireRed..
    There is a difference between Pokemon FireRed US Version 1.0 and version 1.1.
    Some cheat codes work for only one of these versions. If you don't know what version you are when using Ciro's Pokemon Maker, try codes for both versions. One of those codes will work.
    See FAQ below for 'What to do if it does not work'.

Method 1 *Does not work for many people
    Requires:
    - A SSH client (+Internet), I recommend WinSCP, you must be capable of using it
    - Notepad

[Look here]

Method 2 *Will work for practically everything (back up your folder before you try something funny!)
    Requires:
    - A computer with Visual Boy Advance [Download here]
    - The Rom you want to cheat on, on your computer AND iTouch (must be the exact same one) *Note in the case of a hack, you need both the original Rom and the Hack Rom on your PC
    - A SSH client (+Internet), I recommend WinSCP, you must be capable of using it
    - The .sav file which you want to modify
    - Ciro's Pokemon Maker [Download here]
    OR Any GameShark/Action replay/GameGenie/Codebreaker for your rom version (e.g. US)

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING (VBA)
    >>1) Set Options/Save type/Flash 128k
    Options/Emulator/Real Time Clock
    Options/Emulator/Automatic IPS patching
    Options/Configure/Joypad (Change the controls! :p)

>>2) The emulator might be running to fast. If it is, play with 'Throttle' on
    The emulator might be running to slowly. If it is, play with the sound off.

>>3) Try to Google if you experience any other problems.

Pre-steps
    >>1) If you normally save using SAVESTATES in GPSPhone, open your save state, and save the game as if you were actually playing Pokemon on a real GBA. *(hopefully you know how)
    >>2) Transfer your .sav file to your PC
    >>3) Open VBA on your computer. Open your ROM. File/Import/Battery file. Choose your .sav which you SSH'd from your iPod.
    >>4) Find 'Secret ID' if you want your Pokemon to obey you (and you don't have 8 Badges). See FAQ.
    >>5) Codes generated using the Pokemon maker replace the Pokemon in that respective slot in your Pokemon Box. Make sure that something is there to be replaced to make it work, same goes for items.

Section A:HOW TO COMPLETELY CUSTOMISE YOUR POKEMON (Skip if you don't want to cheat this area) See FAQ for cheating in hacks.
    >>1) Run Ciro's Pokemon Maker
    >>2) Select the Game you are currently playing (e.g. US Pokemon Emerald)
    >>3) Check Option 'Output Master Codes'. Ensure hardware is set to VBA.
    >>4) Fill in the details you want your Pokemon to have (DO NOT CHECK 'POKERUS', IT WILL CAUSE BAD EGGS!!)
    >>5) If you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every Pokemon game mechanic, google something that you don't understand (e.g. what Pokemon Natures do)
    >>6) Click 'Codes' to generate codes.

TIP*** To make your Pokemon obey you, make sure 'Trainer Name', 'Trainer Gender', 'Secret ID (see FAQ)' and Hometown/Caught location are set correctly.

>>7) Switch back to your waiting VBA
    >>8) Input Anti DMA if you have it from Ciro's Pokemon Maker and activate it (SEE FAQ!)
    >>9) Input Master code if you have it
    >>10) Input your Pokemon Code from Ciro's Pokemon Maker, it's just a regular VBA code
    >>11) Open up your PC and withdraw. Don't freak out! See 'What to do if it does not work' if it does not work. If you withdraw the Pokemon you made and it reappears, don't worry, that's normal. Exit your box. Delete the loooong Pokemon cheat and save if it works. Then repeat for another Pokemon.

Section B:HOW TO GET TONS OF ITEMS (Skip if you don't want to cheat this area)
    >>1) You can get 'Buy item' Codes from Google, or you can use Ciro's Pokemon Maker ** (note that most 999 item codes apart from Ciro's Pokemon Maker fail to work be it for you pack or for your PC. 'Buy item' codes are the most reliable)
    >>2) Check Option 'Output Master Codes' and 'Descriptions'.
    >>3) Customise the items you want and generate the codes (codes are generated in VBA format)
    >>4) Switch back to your waiting VBA
    >>8) Input Anti DMA if you have it from Ciro's Pokemon Maker/internet and activate it if you haven't already activated it (SEE FAQ!)
    >>9) Input Master code if you have it
    >>10) Input your Item code from Ciro's Pokemon Maker, it's just a regular VBA code
    >>11) Open up your PC and withdraw. Don't freak out! See 'What to do if it does not work' if it does not work. If you withdraw the item you made and it reappears, don't worry, that's normal. Exit your box. Delete your item code. Save and repeat.

TIP*** For unlimited money, generate 'Nuggets' using Ciro's Pokemon Maker if you don't want to use a code taken off the internet

Section C:FINISHING UP
    >>1) Switch back to VBA. Save in a Pokemon centre. File/Export/Battery file. Name it the same as the rom on your iPod. e.g. rom is called Pokemon Emerald.gba. Call your save Pokemon Emerald.sav
    >>2) SSH it back into the directory shown in GPSPhone. Replace the save file already in there. In WINSCP right click, properties, change the permission of your save file to octal value to 0777.

Frequently Asked Questions

'What to do if it does not work'
    When using codes you find off the internet, SAVE YOUR GAME FIRST and back it up, before trying them out. If they don't work/freeze/cause graphic glitches/cause a box full of bad eggs, REMOVE THE CHEAT CODES AND EXIT WITHOUT SAVING.

'What is a Secret ID'
    See http://donnus.tripod.com/maker.html for how to get it

'Pokemon comes up as a [insert Pokemon name here] not as the Pokemon I requested!'
    Usually this happens if you forgot to generate a new set of codes. Click codes again to rectify the problem, and get the ones you need.
    If worst comes to worst, try changing the species of the Pokemon, click away, then change it back to the one you wanted. Otherwise, exit the program, and try again.

'Eggs don't work...'
    Apparently they don't, particularly if you want shiny. I only create Pokemon, not eggs.

'Strategies?'
    Seribii has a great guide, check it out.

'Changing abilities?'
    You only get the ones associated with the species. Short of hacking the actual rom, some codes are available that will temporarily change the abilities of the ENTIRE SPECIES.

'Trading?'
    http://www.vbalink.info/ It is not possible to directly trade using iDevices.
    There is a detailed tutorial there. It takes a long time. Once your done, follow 'Section C:FINISHING UP'.

'Cheating in Hacks'
    Before doing any cheating in VBA, Go into a Pokemon Centre in the hack and save. Then open the original rom. Import the Pokemon centre hack save file (it's located in the same directory as the hack rom) into the original rom (e.g. ShinyGold, import save file into Pokemon FireRed). Then proceed to hack as normal. Once you've finished, save in a Pokemon centre, export the save file and rename it to the exact name of your Hack rom. E.g. Hack rom is Pokemon ShinyGold.gba. Original rom is Pokemon FireRed.gba. The now hacked save file should be named Pokemon ShinyGold.sav

Now you may transfer the save back to your iTouch. This workaround should work because the people who create hacks will often change the code of the game, but will often keep the Pokemon Centre relatively similar. NOTE THAT IF YOUR HACK INTRODUCES NEW POKEMON OR MODIFIES EXISTING POKEMON, THIS MAY NOT WORK!!!

'Anti DMA?'
    Prevents data from moving around so you can hack it. Needed only for Fire Red/ShinyGold and Leaf Green. Must be activated before any other code is used. Activate this code once it's enabled by walking in and out of a building. IF your Anti DMA comes from somewhere that is not Ciro's Pokemon Maker, read the usage carefully.

If you need more help, read this article: http://donnus.tripod.com/maker.html
  2. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    All that just to cheat on pokemon? Less of a time waster if you just go get the game and use action replay but it is a good guide. I will try it tomorrow.
  3. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yeah, but you can cheat absolutely everything including Individual values, abilities, move modification, ball caught with modification, Hidden Power values. It's really useful when you get down to willy-nilly Battle Frontier which is practically impossible without training Effort values.
  4. Blazinq

Blazinq New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i cant believe it takes this much just to cheat a ROM?..but i'll try on my other computer
  5. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    No, it's just if you want to cheat every aspect of Pokemon. Otherwise just SSH save, cheat with gameshark, SSH back. I'm explaining every aspect of codes though xD

It mentions lots of unnecessary steps (well, that's if you've used VBA before)
  6. Blazinq

Blazinq New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    o i never knew what SSH does.. :(
  7. Half-Life

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    But I beat all of the Frontier (totally) and the elite 4 with out cheating. I just play in my free time (Now I play ttr 3 when every I can).
  8. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    SSH allows you to access and change everything on your iPod
    Half-Life, I am a (slightly) excessive strategist who effort trains my Pokemon, breed them for the movepool/Individual values/Natures, and trust me this saved me loads of time in Daycare ;)
  9. Half-Life

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    No I know I cheated once it is really fun. On ds pokemon it is the best to cheat.
  10. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I know :3
    Shiny mania on Pokemon SoulSilver ATM, with maxed out stats
    EDIT: @Blazing, it's not that cheating itself is hard, but VBA is, shall we say, infamous for errors with Pokemon; including but not limited to 1-M Circuit board malfunction, Dry Battery, Corrupted save file.. etc.