HOW TO: Changing MobileStack Apps and Icons!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pjbarnoy, Nov 3, 2007.

1. pjbarnoy

pjbarnoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've seen more than a few people confused about how to go about changing apps and icons for MobileStack, so here's my contribution to it.

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE UPDATES BEFORE YOU START ANY OF THE STEPS IN THE GUIDE!! THEY'RE VERY IMPORTANT/USEFUL/GOOD TO KNOW!!

UPDATE 3: Our gracious leader psychochromatic

Please Register or Log in to view images

has just surprised us with a new addition to his website: a MOBILESTACK INSTALLER REPOSITORY! Instead of following my links, you can now just install MobileStack from the Installer! If you'd like to install MobileStack from Installer instead of doing it by hand, please follow the instructions at the bottom of the guide!! Also, read the post-guide anyway, as there's an added surprise that even I hadn't known about until I actually went through the Installer...

UPDATE 2: psychochromatic, the creator of the mobile Stack, is now a member of our humble forum

. Welcome psychochromatic!

UPDATE: There's a new version, r137. It's available at http://mobilestack.googlecode.com/files/StackControllerR137.zip. The same steps as described in this tutorial can be used to install this new version!

First of all, you'll need to install the StackController application, but not the one from the Installer. The version that's in the installer is (as of now) r78, and you'll need the newest version, r80, to be able to do this. So what you'll need to do is download http://mobilestack.googlecode.com/files/StackControllerR80.zip, unzip it, and move it to your iPoT's Applications folder. Check the Ultimate Guide if you don't know how to do this already.

Now that you have the latest StackController installed, go ahead and open it, and tap the "Install Stack" button. Reboot your iPoT.

Now you should see the stack in the bottom right corner. If you tap it you should see the mail, notes and maps applications; but you might want to change them. (that's probably why you're here, anyway

)

What you'll need to do is, on your computer, open your favorite SFTP client, and navigate to the /Library/Preferences folder. Download the file "com.steventroughtonsmith.stack.entries". Now open the file in your favorite text editor. You should see some text, in blocks like these:

Code:
    	<dict>
    		<key>ID</key>
    		<string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>
    		<key>IconPath</key>
    		<string>/Applications/MobileMail.app/icon.png</string>
    	</dict>
    Now to change the applications and their respective icons, we'll need to edit the text inside both <string> tags. The first <string> indicates the application we want to open. We'll use the Stocks application as an example.

To find out the string, go to /Applications/Stocks.app in your SFTP client, and open up the info.plist file. Look for the string that looks like "com.sometext.somemoretext" and copy it. In our case with the Stocks application, the string it "com.apple.stocks". Copy that string and go back to the entries file. Replace "com.apple.mobilemail" with "com.apple.stocks".

Now if you save the entries file and copy it back to /Library/Preferences on your iPoT, reboot, and tap the Mail icon on the stack, it should open the Stocks app.

Now all that's left to do is change it to the right icon, which is very simple. See the second string in our block of code? It's

Code:
    <string>/Applications/MobileMail.app/icon.png</string>
    All we have to do is change the "someApp.app" to the application we want, which is, in our case, the Stocks app. So go ahead and change the "MobileMail.app" to "Stocks.app", save the file, and transfer it back to your iPoT, like before, and reboot.

And that's it! Now if you tap the stack you should have your Stocks app waiting to be launched in all its glory! Now you can do this with the other apps in the stack, and you can even add apps. Just copy and paste the block of code, and edit it to your liking.

I hope this has helped some people! Ask any questions you have, but please search the forums first for any file transfer questions, or any questions that may have been answered somewhere else on the forums.

~ Pjbarnoy

UPDATE 3 (Continued from Above): Adding the MobileStack Repository to Installer

First of all, psychochromatic has made our lives very easy with this update, and we should all thank him

OK, so what you're going to need to do is first, open up Installer and tap the 'Sources' tab on the bottom-right. On the top-right, hit 'Edit', then on the top-left, tap on 'Add'. When the prompt for the site of the source comes up, enter:

Code:
    http://mobilestack.googlecode.com/svn/repository/internal.plist
    and press 'OK'. It should refresh your sources, and you now have the MobileStack Repository!

You can now install the latest MobileStack on your iPoT; and by latest, I mean the very latest, as in whatever has been changed that day. Be forewarned, that not all of these releases are stable. They may crash your iPod to the point where you have to restore. Most of these builds are guaranteed to have bugs in them, as all untested beta releases do in any application; so take caution knowing the possible consequences of using these realeases. Neither I, nor psychochromatic, is responsible for anything that happens to your iPod from installing these 'nightly builds'. If you want the latest stable releases that have been extensively tested and are 99% foolproof (as next to all 3rd party apps are, I might add), you'll have to install it manually from the link I provided, for now. *Hint, hint, psychochromatic*

And as for psychochromatic's little surprise... It seems that psychochromatic has taken the liberty of providing us with pre-installed application arrangements. If you go into Installer after adding the MobileStack repository, you'll find the category 'MobileStack Readymade Entries'. In this category you'll find installable arrangements of Stack icons. I haven't installed these myself, so it would be helpful if somebody could describe or post screenshots of what these pre-arranged sets look like. **Note: this will not install the Stack application itself. You'll have to install the Stack application, then the prearranged icon sets.
  2. adesai

adesai New Member

thanks, I can't find com.steventroughtonsmith.stack.entries though.
  3. pjbarnoy

pjbarnoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you installed the newest version?

Also, you could be looking in the wrong Library... There's a few of them. Make sure you're looking in /var/root/Library/Preferences. The Library should be in the same folder as the Media folder.
  4. pjbarnoy

pjbarnoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Would someone mind moving this thread to the Applications forum? I think it would serve more of a purpose there (and maybe get some more views

).

But seriously, I think it belongs there.
  5. whitepod

whitepod New Member

how many apps can you put under it??
  6. pjbarnoy

pjbarnoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, you can put five that will show up without scrolling, but I'm not sure what happens if you put six or more. It'll probably scroll up and down or something.
  7. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok so i put the whole "stackcontroller.app" file on through sftp, but nothing shows on my touch, do i just put on the single 'stacks.app' folder thats inside the 'stackcontroller.app' file or to i have to install it from installer or what?? please help
  8. Videofolife13

Videofolife13 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Whenever I tap the Stack button to install, i can't install / nothing shows up. Is there a way to remedy this?
    -Video
  9. adesai

adesai New Member

I got the right icon for the itunes store but the string that starts with com.xxxxxx.xxxx doesnt work for me, could you tell me what it says wjen you open info.plst for the itunes store(mobilestore.app)?
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Great! This works perfectly. Unfortunately, Stacks still doesn't quite work for me. I'm left handed, so I'd need the stack to be on the left side.

I ordered my stacks like this: Audio, Video, YouTube, Photos, Store. Ideally, I would use the rest of my ButtonBar for Mail, Weather, and ToDoList. That way I'd have everything I use all in one place. The rest of my springBoard could be used for whatever else.

Sadly, this just doesn't cut it for me on the right. So I uninstalled Stacks. Thanks for the great turorial though. I don't think I would have bothered to play with Stacks otherwise.

Adesai, the identifier you're looking for is (!and remember the caps are important!):
    com.apple.MobileStore