[HOW TO] change ssh password without using passwd command

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by metallus84, Jan 30, 2008.

1. metallus84

metallus84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    edited because i'm not sure of right working of my metod
  2. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Which jailbreak version did you use? Nates, or the Dev Team?
  3. metallus84

metallus84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    mmm Dev but maybe i made some mess, because after reboot now springboard restart itself looping... i restored master.passwd but maybe it is not passwd problem....
  4. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yep, that's the error. So still

DON'T CHANGE THE PASSWORD

Please Register or Log in to view images

by any means at all.

Once its in the death spiral, it seems like the only way out is to start over (restore to 1.1.1 and re-jailbreak) - if you work yourself out of it another way, document it!

Preshared keys are going to be the solution for ssh without the dreaded "everyone has the same root password" concern.

I also had posted in one of the 1000 other ssh topics how to move the ssh port from 22 to some >1000 port number by editing /etc/services, which will also make your touch much harder to find via port scanners

5. metallus84

metallus84 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    yes infact i edited above, however it is strange because via ssh i stoppedd death loop moving Sprigboard exutable to another name and launching it by bash. the strange thing is that launcing i NOT goes in loop and works correctly..... meantime i restored password as original and moved springboard back to original name but it still goes in death loop. is it very strange right?? now i messed up with master.passwd and it doesnt log in by ssh

i love to strange all ahuauhahu

now i'm finding a way to edit master.passwd without restoring all from 1.1.1. anyone know it? by linux by windows, any way... i stay tuned

tnx for your suggestion to move ssh port but it is not secure, nmap -p1-65535 will find it in 5 minutes of scan

6. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sure, but to find it in 5 minutes you have to know which ip address it lives at.
    Trust me, brute force ssh scans scan submets/ip address blocks for port 22. If you're not living there, they'll never find you, because they won't know that a machine is at a given ip address at all.