[HOW TO] Change Permissions Without Wifi! [DETAILED & PICTURES]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Aduumzor, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    HOW TO SET PERMISSIONS WITHOUT WIFI!
    WRITTEN BY: ADUUMZOR

I'll upload a video tutorial tommorow as tonight is a bit late.

Ever had the crisis where you downloaded a file from the internet like an application and you uploaded it to your iPod Touch/iPhone via Total Commander with T-Pot Mod, but when launched it froze to one page screen then kicked you back to springboard?! Thats right, you FORGOT to set permissions! But wait, we can't SSH; we have NO WIFI! We can't SFTP; we have NO WIFI! But wait can't we just use Squid.app from Installer, but wait again.. we have NO WIFI! Total Commander with T-Pot doesn't set permissions too... but wait, it's a bird, its a plan.. no its iPhonePCSUITE! The newest and most sleekest iPhone/iPod Touch utility centre for your Apple touch screen device which is able to set permissions offline!

iPhonePCSuite is a PC Windows platform for both XP and Vista. Sorry Mac users, no compatibility yet. iPhonePCSuite can do a variety of things.
    They include:
    -backing up iPod files
    -previewing Summerboard themes
    -ability to reboot or respring your iPod in a click
    -upload Photos directly into your iPod
    -edit, Add or Delete Contacts
    -upload or delete media files
    -convert text files into eBook readable format for Books Application
    -finder (file manager)
    -able to download files directly from the internet to your iPod
    -edit notes in the Notes.app
    -edit bookmarks in Safari

Download is available at these sources:
    [PIRACY.rs]
    [PIRACY.mf]
    Other
    (Links taken from Winterboard's Introduction to iPhonePCSuite, I'll add more after awhile or if links are dead)

I take no creation or thanks for this utility centre, I did not make a piece of it; only this tutorial! iPhonePCSuite was made by NetDragon WebSoft Inc. all rights are reserved to them and no copyright allowed!

Back to our permission crisis. Let's say I uploaded Wikipedia.app I downloaded from a site to my iPod via Total Commander. But I get a frozen screen once I open the application and kicks back into Springboard. What do I do? For first, I'll need to download iPhonePCSuite created by NetDragon WebSoft Inc from one of the links given above. Then I'll need to extract it to some directory that I know the directions to, preferably my desktop!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Once I extract it, I'll find a new folder now named "iPhonePCSuite" and click on it. I'll find the .exe file or the file with the picture of a iPhone on it named iPhonePCSuite and click on it.

It will launch an amazingly beautiful GUI (Graphic User Interface) which resembles an iPhone/iPod Touch. Connect your iPod Touch/iPhone into your computer via the Apple given USB cable and set it up with iPhonePCSuite.

I'll need to install daemon tools or something on your iPod before it can read onto iPhonePCSuite. I don't know what daemon tools does, all I know is that it will allowed it to work with iPhonePCSuite, so just do what it says and you'll be fine (with restarting twice etc). Once connected, to enter the File Manager mode (which we'll need to set permissions), click on the bottom right icon of the iPod Touch/iPhone computer GUI named Finder.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Once clicked, it will open up a new window which is your File Manager, Woohoo! It'll show you your list of directories starting from the main directory which is the "/" directory if typed into the SSH, SFTP adress bar. No username or password is needed so, no confusing root or alpine is necessary!

(Click to Enlarge)

I am now going into the applications folder from the "/" directory at the start. So I'm now in the /Applications directory if typed into the address bar. I'll go and find my applcation folder that I need to fix, which is Wikipedia.app. The arrangement is from alphabetical order so A, B, C and so on, we know our alphabet! I'll scroll down near the end of the list since Wikipedia starts with W and W is nearing the end of the alphabet. Once I found my Wikipedia.app from the list of folder I'll highlight it by left clicking it ONCE then right clicking it and select the last option with the two little box thingies next to one another. That is supposely meaning properties if coming from an SSH, SFTP client.

(Click To Enlarge)

From there, it will load a new window and possibly take awhile but it will pop up, be patient. Once a new window has popped up, you'll see 6 titles going down the left side of the window. They are (in order): Path, Size, Property, Owner, Group and finally Everyone.

The path, and size is not editable from this window at the moment or at any moment in fact. They just describe what's contained in the file and it's path (don't know what path actually describes but not to worry, its not necessary). By the way, if you noticed, the "5 documents" in my window it explains that there are five files in that folder and if I change something to this window, all of those 5 documents will be changed as well (so basically it's saying it'll be a recursive change). So now, we're left with Property, Group, Owner and Everyone; this is my (and our) permissions section. I can either type in the property box, 755 or 777 whichever is your desire to change the permissions to. Or if I don't think it's working because of the boxes after the Group, Owner and Everyone aren't checked I can do it by manually checking them myself aswell. To get 755 permissions using check boxes, I'll need to check off (click the box to check off) everybox except the "Writeable" in the Group and Owner row. To get 777 permissions, I'll need to check off every box there is in Group, Owner and Everyone. You'll see if you achieved the right permissions as the number changes in the property box. Once finished select the "Ok" button from the bottom of that window and it will apply those changes.

Believe it or not, permissions are now SET! Yipeee! Now all I have to do it is respring or reboot (you don't even have to, I just do it cause I'm phsycho!) then re-enter my Wikipedia.app again from my Apple touch screen device and it should load it properly. Permissions are set, saved and finished so no more of anything to do with them.

There you go! I've set permissions extremely fast without wifi. Not just I can set one file's permissions like Squid, I can do multiple file permissions changes! This is an easy and alternative way to do things if you do not have wifi or wireless internet. Learn to love iPhonePCSuite cause it's all your going to use now!

Hope this tutorial helps everyone, have any questions, concerns, problems or props then just reply and I'll be sure to answer them right away!
  3. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    doesnt work for me on vista. everytime i click the exe it just crashes.
  4. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ok, after another downlaod and rebootign pc a few times its finally working.. and this is SOOO cool, being able to preview themes, add ebooks, see and edit my contacts and calendar etc is pretty neat. the ipod just gets better and better.
  5. Aduumzor

Aduumzor New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Vista could have some compatibility issues.. I'm unsure? I'm on XP right now so I can't help.

Maybe rebooting your computer could help.

Yes, iPhonePCSuite stretches farther than what I've described here.

6. theballonman

theballonman New Member

thanks buddy works like a charm

man this is tight, u can even access your videos and music
  7. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    anyway to change settings? upload photos only points at the camera roll and not the default fotos folder
  8. Darrell

Darrell New Member

I tried this on my touch, but when I itry to install daemon, (restarted 3x) it always fails. Is there a workaround?
  9. Tryko

Tryko Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    god bless you !!! My installer has been crashing for 2 weeks now I tried to fix it but I couldn't because I couldn't change the permission!
    I will try this later today =D I'll give a holler after I tried it

10. mixatt

mixatt New Member

That sounds cool but I have wifi.