how to change jailbreak from redsn0w to blackra1n?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jih128, May 2, 2010.

1. jih128

jih128 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    right now my MB 2 gen 3.1.3 itouch is jailbroken with redsn0w.
    is there a way to downgrade or something to get blackra1n?
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    redsn0w is the only one that jailbreaks 3.1.3. The jailbreaks are essentially the same with the exception of 24kpwn on the 2G. There really is no benefit of trying to "switch".
  3. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Why? They both accomplish the same thing. If you want to though, restore your iPod and then jailbreak it with blackra1n, but you will need to be on 3.1.2 for blackra1n I believe
  4. jih128

jih128 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just to try the blackra1n jailbreak. i have been having some trouble with redsn0w but mostly just to get blackra1n and try it
  5. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    There is really no difference, other than the teardrop icon you will erase anyway...
  6. jih128

jih128 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh okay. i could get that icon also if i ssh and changed another icons .png
  7. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Why? There is no point.
  8. hipy

hipy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    indeed. they both accomplish the same thing. thats getting cydia.. why restore and errase all aps for a simple program click :S
  9. huge

huge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I was about to post a new thread/question, but I think it's related to this one...

First, please forgive my newb ignorance - just got first ipod a week ago and ran first jailbreak yesterday.

iPod Touch 8GB 2G/3G MC, downgraded to 3.1.2

I tried jailbreak using blackra1n but ran into problems. Found a thread here saying that I should use redsn0w to jailbreak and then just use blackra1n when I need to reboot.

Everything seems to be working fine - ie I have cydia on my iPod and it seems to work (occasional error messages, but for the most part it seems OK).

But after running blackra1n on my (Vista) computer, there is no blackra1n teardrop icon on my springboard. Do I care? I'm guessing the answer is no - my iPod is jailbroken so I don't ever need to run the blackra1n app on it. Correct?

If I power off my iPod and then restart it, it comes back in recovery mode and I have to run blackra1n again to get it to work. I understand that this is a tethered jailbreak, but I thought that what that meant was that if I ever powered it off, it would restart in an unjailbroken state, not that I couldn't even use it at all. It seems like a big problem if I'm traveling and I accidentally power it off or the battery runs out or whatever, and I don't have my computer with me. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks for helping out a newb...
  10. metalhead777

metalhead777 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How are you gonna "accidentally" turn your iPod off? You can't. You have to hold the sleep button for 5 seconds and it'll say Slide to Power Off. Not really an accident if you choose to slide it. If the battery runs out, well you're screwed until you can reach a computer with blackra1n.