[HOW TO]Change default XCode Settings(Company Name, Bundle ID, etc.)

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bamhm182, Jul 20, 2009.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Change the bundle ID

Go to /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Project Templates/Application.

Once you are there, you have go into each folder and look for a file ending in info.plist. Open that plist and you'll be looking for this:

Key: Bundle Identifier
    Value: com.yourCompany.${PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier}

Change the value to com.*Your company's name*.${PRODUCT_NAME:rfc1034identifier}
    You have to change each one individually, but it doesn't take too long.

Set the icon to icon.png

EDIT: According to Skylar, this is unneeded because is this is blank, XCode will automatically look for icon.png

I always use icon.png as the name for my icon as I'm sure a lot of other people do as well. It isn't a massive pain to set each time, but you can set it so that you don't need to set it each time.

Go to /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Project Templates/Application.

Once you are there, you have go into each folder and look for a file ending in info.plist. Open that plist and you'll be looking for this:

Key: icon

Set the value to whatever you want your icon's name to be.

Change _MyCompanyName_

EDIT: According to Skylar, this is unneeded. Apparently if you edit your contact information in the Address Book app, it changes it for you automatically.

Are you tired of seeing _MyCompanyName_ at the top of every file:

With this tip, you can change it to your company's name.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and open com.apple.Xcode.plist.

When you open the plist, you'll be looking for a dictionary named PBXCustomTemplateMacroDefinitions. In this key, there is another key named ORGANIZATIONNAME, you will want to change the value of this key to your company's name.

(Thanks goes to Oliver Drobnik for the information on how to do this)

EDIT: You can also use terminal
    Change the default Project location

This tip allows you to set the default location for your Projects so that you won't have to navigate there manually each time you want to open or save an application you're working on.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and open com.apple.Xcode.plist.

You'll be looking for a key named XCProjectWizardDefaultPath, change the value of this key to the location you keep your XCode projects in.

(Thanks goes to Oliver Drobnik for the information on how to do this)

Feel free to share your tips of this nature below, I'll update this post with them.
  2. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    wow

Please Register or Log in to view images

thanks for that.. always been something i wondered how to do but never did it
  3. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dam i cant find the PBXCustomTemplateMacroDefinitions string

does this work on 3.0 ? or is it just 2.2.1 xcode ?
  4. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No problem. I'm always glad to help. Like I said, I'll be updating this thread when I find new tips. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to set the Predefined Build Configurations. Does anyone know how to do this?

EDIT: I'm on 3.0 and all these tips work for me. I'll look into it, maybe I made a mistake.

EDIT 2: It has an arrow next to it, if that helps. I guess it is a dictionary, not a key.
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can mostly edit everything in the templates by opening the project file. After saving make sure you delete the build folder that got created while editing it. And after that right-click on the project file and choose "Show Package Contents", then delete everything that has your user name in it if you want to remove your changes to the window position, height etc. Or just keep it if you want.
    That's what I did. I found myself doing that stupid re-size and hide file browser over the editor thing everytime...
    You can also edit the file templates.

Annoyed me that in some Betas of the SDK some templates used another formatting style than in the others... Just change it and you're fine.

Just try this in your terminal:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXCustomTemplateMacroDefinitions '{"ORGANIZATIONNAME" = "My Company";}'
  6. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks Chri it worked
  7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

_MyCompanyName_ is obtained from your own card in AddressBook on your mac. Just update that, FILL IN YOUR COMPANY NAME and you will never have that problem again. (Hint, this is the correct way to do this. Doing whatever it is that you said will cause you to have to redo those ridiculous steps every time you install a new SDK update)

You don't need to set icon to icon.png in your Info.plist at all. If Icon.png is not present, the OS will look for icon.png. The ONLY time you need to set icon.png under the icon key is if you are creating a Settings.bundle. so this is really mostly moot.

Re your credit to Oliver Drobnik. The only thing I've ever seen him do is overly complicate whatever it is the he is trying to do.
  8. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hmn... Okay, fair enough. Got anything to say about the bundle ID? Is there a "correct" way to set that, or are you supposed to set it every time?
  9. cocotutch

cocotutch Community Development Team Staff Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I found the Address Book thing handy, now I don't have to routinely write my name in place of the default with each project

And Dylan, your tips helped too