HOW TO: change app names and change system text.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mcpetrolhead, Apr 16, 2009.

?

Did this work?

1. They both worked.

54.2%
  2. App name change worked.

16.7%
  3. System text change worked.

29.2%
  4. App name change didn't work.

12.5%
  5. System text change didn't work.

16.7%
  6. Neither worked.

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mcpetrolhead

mcpetrolhead Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This how-to will help users to change the names of the original applications and also to change the text of system notifications (e.g. slide to unlock to slide to die (for example)).

PLEASE BACKUP BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS.
    There is nothing that can truly do anything harmful to your ipod/iphone but it is still recommended you backup.

Change names of original Apps:

Step 1: download the file "change app names.zip" from this post and extract it .
    Step 2: Open up the file "Original names.plist.htm" with Microsoft word (or equivilant). This has all of the names of the apps. This file is formatted so that the key(e.g. com.apple.AppStore) is the apps full name (DO NOT CHANGE) and the string is then the name in springboard(App Store) (this is what you change).
    Step 3: Open up "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" (with notepad or equivilant) this is the template for the end file.
    The first part is the key (as mentioned above) and the second part is the name (here i have changed it from safari to Internet).
    In the example file i have 6 apps changed but you can change as many as you want.
    Step 4: Save the file "LocalizedApplicationNames.strings" (make sure it has this exact name otherwise it will not work) in the deepest folder (en.lproj) which has been supplied in the zip folder.
    Step 5: Copy the folder "oh sweet.theme" (note: you can change the "oh sweet" to whatever you want) onto your ipod at "/Library/Themes". To copy it you can use many different applictations, the one I use is DiskAid (http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/download.php which is mac and windows).
    Step 7: Respring or reboot your iphone/ipod then go into Winterboard. Select "oh sweet" or whatever you called it then exit out of winterboard.

Your app should now have the new names you assigned.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Change system text:

Step 1: Download the file "system text.zip" from this post and extract it.
    Step 2: Open up the file "original system text.plist.htm" with Microsoft word (or equivilant). This has the original text. This file is formatted so that the key(e.g. "AWAY_LOCK_LABEL") is the identifier (DO NOT CHANGE) and the string is then the text shown (Slide to unlock) (this is what you change).
    Step 3: Open up "SpringBoard.strings" (with notepad or equivilant) this is the template for the end file.
    The first part is the key (as mentioned above) and the second part is the text shown (here i have changed it from "Slide to unlock" to "Don't slide").
    In the example file i have 5 pieces of text changed but you can change as many as you want.
    Step 4: Save the file "SpringBoard.strings" (make sure it has this exact name otherwise it will not work) in the deepest folder (en.lproj) which has been supplied in the zip folder.

Step 5: Copy the folder "oh sour.theme" (note: you can change the "oh sour" to whatever you want) onto your ipod at "/Library/Themes". To copy it you can use many different applictations, the one I use is DiskAid (http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/download.php which is mac and windows).
    Step 7: Respring or reboot your iphone/ipod then go into Winterboard. Select "oh sour" or whatever you called it then exit out of winterboard.

Now the system text which you changed should be there.

To change everything back to normal all you need to do is unselect the themes in winterboard.

I have done this in my spare time so if you have a problem with anything tell me nicely (this took me a good hour and a half), dont tell me by saying im a idiot or anything like that.

Any comments are welcome, and just post if you have any queries.

Cheers,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. wammybar6

wammybar6 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Where are the compressed zip files eg.. change app names.zip
  3. mcpetrolhead

mcpetrolhead Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Bugger sorry.
    Its 12 O'Clock here.
    Ill add them right away.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks for that.
    Its there now.
  4. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    "Rename 2" from Cydia does the renaming stuff.
    And I think there is a file browser that edits strings much easier, can't remember name tho.
  5. mcpetrolhead

mcpetrolhead Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I cannot find "Rename 2", but i have heard of these sorts of apps and they only do cydia apps (i think).
    As for the browser to edit string files, you must put them in the correct directories and its much easier to do it with your computer (I did all of the editing with Terminal and it took a very very long time). So my reasoning is that its much easier to do this using the computer rather than an app and this way you have complete control over it.

Cheers
  6. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thank you for the tip

just changed mail to gmail lol
  7. mcpetrolhead

mcpetrolhead Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats what i did.
    I also changed safari to Chrome (Google browser) and almost everyone with an ipod/iphone has asked how to get chrome on their ipod.

Please everyone leave feedback whether this worked or not so i can improve on it.
    Also STICKY ME.
  8. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yes! safari to mfirefox

clock to time and settings to preferences

9. mcpetrolhead

mcpetrolhead Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I also changed my "slide to stop alarm" to "slide to wake up".
    Did my tutorial work for you?
    Did the change system text work as well?

Comments are appreciated as they will help improve my tutorials.

I got my account here about a year ago when i got my Touch but I've only just recently started using it.
    But im finding im much better at modding than many people even though im 17, but i suppose a lot of people here are 13 yo who know sh*t all.

Also how can i go about getting this STICKIED
  10. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    renaming works, never tried those yet cause i don't have a slider on my lockscreen and etc