How to change an iPod Touch into an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zephik, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Zephik

Zephik New Member

Hi guys & gals, new member here and new iPod Touch owner! Woot!

I gotta a sort of dilemma here that I'm hoping someone can solve?

I've been struggling to make phone payments lately and just a few days ago I got royally shanked by my bank for a couple mishaps on my behalf. It basically ended in me paying a couple ugly overdraft charges. So I've been pretty much forced to give up having a cellphone since I'm just not able to afford it at this point in time.

I bet you can't guess what my question is!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Yup, you guessed it! I would like to know if it is possible to use an iPod Touch as a basic phone? This might or might not make it any easier, but I almost never call anyone and vise versa. What I basically need is texting and voicemail. However, I've been thinking about using my email for texting with? What would be the best way of going about doing it that way? But if there is an even better way, like an app or something, then please let me know! For voicemail I have really no clue about how I'm going to be able to do that.

So thats pretty much it. I need a way of texting and recieving voicemail, calling would only be a plus and isn't required for me to have at all.

Thanks so much in advance! I hope we can figure this out.

-Zephik
  2. mickey2cocopuffs

mickey2cocopuffs New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    textfree unlimited is pretty gud.. and you only pay for it once which is to get the product..
    it costs like 5 dollars
    --check it out, it might be what your looking for.
  3. tymanzz

tymanzz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can use the AIM app and add anyones phone number and instant message them if you have WiFi. As for voicemail, I don't think it's possible.
  4. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

Sell your iPod and get a cheap phone plan =] Use one of the Aim texting services for free and there really arent any voicemail things out.
  5. joeyiscool

joeyiscool Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if you have a 2g you can buy a mic then use skype to call people.. ive done it on my 1g but i can only here them which is kinda funny because they get confused and mad. Textfree is the best i used it yesterday and it was great but the only problem is that you have to text the person first because you dont have a real number but its still pretty cool.
  6. Torrents

Torrents New Member

...or you can toss your iPod Touch out the window and get yourself an iPhone.

7. joeyiscool

joeyiscool Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    he cant afford his phone.... did you read his post?
  8. Torrents

Torrents New Member

As a matter of fact I did, but in my opinion I think that an iPod is an iPod, and a phone is a phone. So I'm a little annoyed when I see these threads about making an iPod into a Phone. I know it would be rather convenient, but save yourself the trouble and just get a real phone. Can't afford one? There are phones out there that are less than $50, but no. Everyone has to have the iPhone don't they? I disagree.
  9. JayTraceur

JayTraceur New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    He just said he couldnt afford his phone... Meaning he couldnt afford the pricing of the plans...
  10. Duykur

Duykur Banned

No, just get a cheap $0 phone with a minimum plan