[HOW-TO] Change All Bars in Apps, Edit Artwork files, and Whatever Else You Want

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by romeboards, Dec 15, 2007.

1. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ok, so here goes. Are you tired of that dull, ugly, pale blue skin that comes on all of your apps? Well, now theres a solution! To change all bars in your ipod to look something like this,

Please Register or Log in to view images

you need to follow these steps.

Note: If you just want to change everything to black, scroll to the bottom for an easier solution..

REMEMBER: Do this at your own risk!​

Note: If you are worried about backups, anything you might need to replace can be found here.

DO NOT attempt ANY of this on 1.1.3 (and above)!

Windows Guide​

Step 1: Heres what you need:
    -Windows
    -Jailbroken iPod on 1.1.1 (1.1.2 works too, im 99% sure)
    -iPhoneShop-0.6.jar (can be downloaded here)
    -Some time on your hands

Step 2:
    - Make a folder on your desktop or wherever called artwork. In this folder, create another one called pngs. ALSO, place your iPhoneShop-0.6.jar file in the artwork folder, not the pngs.

Step 3: FTP (SSH) into your ipod, and go to this directory: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/. From here, find and copy the file called Other.artwork directly into your artwork folder.

Also, Copy the Other.artwork file again someplace else on your PC, as a backup

Step 4: Now heres where it starts to get tricky. Go to Start>Run>cmd to open the command line. now you must navigate to the artwork file. To do this type this into the command prompt:

so, for example, i would type cd C:\Documents and Settings\John Smith\My Documents\iPod Touch\artwork cause thats where my artwork folder is. to find this directory, just look at the address bar in explorer. Hit enter in Command Prompt when you finish, and the directory listing should change.

Now first make sure you have the other.artwork file, the iPhoneShop.jar file, and the empty pngs folder all in the artwork folder before you continue. Also, make sure the Command Prompt is pointing at where your artwork folder is located.

Step 5: if everythings where it should be, now copy and paste this line into your command prompt:

If everything is where it should be, your Command prompt should start scrolling through a lot of lines. In the end, if you did everything ok, it should say something like the exported pngs are located in the appropriate directory.

Step 6: Now in explorer, go into your pngs file. If everything worked, you should see A Lot of pngs images in there. here (thanks to Modmyifone.com) is what most of the relevant images mean:

Now i would not recommend changing all of these. To change the bar for most of the apps, you should only change the following

Step 7: Edit these pngs however youd like, doing so at your own risk

Note: File dimensions must not be changed!

Step 8: When you have changed these images to your satisfaction, save them and make sure they are all still located in your pngs file with everything else. Now, back in your command prompt, make sure your still pointing at the artwork file, and copy and paste this in and press enter:

If you did this correctly, things should start scrolling again and whatnot. If it says import successful or whatever, you did it right. Now look into your pngs folder, you should see a NEW Other.artwork file. (Dont use the one inside the artwork folder, thats still the original.

Replace this new Other.artwork folder into your ipod where you found the old one, set permissions to 755 and restart your ipod to see if it worked.

Step 9: Now youre gonna have to change all the default.pngs locating in the application's folders so the colors correspond, etc. Included at the bottom are black Defaults. Permissions need to be changed to 755, of course.

Step 10: To change the buttons in Safari, iPod, or any other app these are located in that app's /Applications folder. i.e. the buttons in Safari are found in /Applications/MobileSafari.app

Hopefully this will work for you!

-----------------------------------------------------------​

Mac Guide​

(Was too long for this post, is seen on page 6 of the thread)

-----------------------------------------------------------​

Black Skin​

DO NOT attempt ANY of this on 1.1.3 (and above)!

If you want to cheat and just get straight to a refreshing black setting, Just replace the attached (blackartwork.zip) Other.artwork file in /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/ and set its permissions. Then you have to change the default.png (Step 9) with the separate ones on your ipod (blackDefaults.zip), just go to the individual applications folder and replace it, setting permissions to 755. Ive attached this as well, also with a red safari progress bar and a cool black safari icon.

Hopefully I didnt miss anything here. Major props to theagent for getting this whole thing started. If you need help, obviously, pm me, and good luck!

Attached Files:

2. brandon311

brandon311 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great tutorial. I think it should be stickied because a lot of people have asked for this.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Asuraku

Asuraku Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Sooooo, what about Mac users... Who want to do custom colors...
  4. jimbodude

jimbodude Member

Step 5: if everythings where it should be, now copy and paste this line into your command prompt:

java -jar iPhoneShop-0.0.jar ARTWORK Other.artwork export pngs

Shouldnt it be:
    java -jar iPhoneShop-0.6.jar ARTWORK Other.artwork export pngs
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks ill try this later!
  6. Parker618

Parker618 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    lol if this gets stickyed i have 1/2 of a sticky!
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Correction
    Where it says "java -jar iPhoneShop-0.0.jar ARTWORK Other.artwork export pngs" it should say "java -jar iPhoneShop-0.6.jar ARTWORK Other.artwork export pngs"

EDIT: Looks like Jimbodude beat me to it

8. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  9. jimbodude

jimbodude Member

I posted it first

look up lol

EDIT: just saw your edit

10. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Thanks, I was wondering why it wasn't working.