how to catch/prevent RRoD?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Stemoy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I got a microsoft refurb 360 last November and thankfully don't have the red ring...yet. So are there any things that happen before it eventually red rings, like signs? And what can I do to prevent it from ever happening. It has frozen a few times on a game that had been known to cause freezes and has lost and regained some Fable 2 gamesaves randomly. But any links or tips'll help.
  2. Mr Pudge

Mr Pudge Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I'm not completely sure, but I almost positive the RRoD is caused by overheating. And I don't think there are any signs before it happens.. Just be sure to keep it in an open place where it can air out. Maybe even consider buying an external fan for it? Not the intercooler one though, as it runs off of the xbox's power making it run hotter. Also, make sure it's on a hard surface where it can breathe.

Just did a little research on it, and apparently there is nothing you can do to completely prevent it. The things I said up there will only delay it from happening.

Or, you could just sell your current xbox and buy a new slim.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Buy a 360 slim, it's impossible for them to get RROD

4. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Keep it in an open area. This allows cool air to get to the 360.
    Also don't put the back of the 360 near a wall because the 360 would just throw out heat and the wall would deflect it back into the 360.
    Take the disc out when turning the console off. Starting the console with a disc in creates a 'whirlwind' effect where it just blows dust all over. Turn the 360 on with the controller. And don't play for hours on end every day

You don't have to follow all that, but its better safe then sorry.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Look at the manufacture date on the back. If it's 2008 or later then its a jasper and you don't have to worry about a RRoD. Another way to tell is to look at the power supply, 150w is a jasper.
  6. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Oh the newer ones don't red ring? I know the slims cannot produce the red lighted ring but I'm sure they have something that'll go wrong with them, like the blue light of death

So what did they do to the "jasper" to make it better?
  7. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    The new Xbox Slims power down when it gets hot so it technically cant over heat. Once it cools down to an optimal temp, it starts up again.

The jasper chip set is smaller (65 nm CPU and GPU vs 65 nm CPU and 80 nm GPU)

Smaller chip set is better because its more efficient.

the whole RROD fiasco was mainly due to the fact the 360 would over heat. When it overheats, the soldering on the chip set breaks and the chip set becomes lose and/or curls.

The first Xbox 360 is Xenon and comes with a 203W power supply.
    The second revision is called Zephyr came with a HDMI port.

Non HDMI Xbox's that are replaced by Microsoft have a Opus chip set.

Its basically a falcon without the HDMI.
  8. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    keep it in a cool open space, mine sits on my tile floor in the basement
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The jasper chip set is smaller and uses less power, which equals less heat and less likely to RRoD.
  10. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its actually the Red Dot of Death.

So what the RRoD is a multiple amount of things. It is most commonly when the Xbox overheats and causes the artic silver thermal compound to burn away, causing even more overheating.

It then works harder and harder to cool down, causing vibrations with can break the solder on the GPU. Once the soldered connection breaks, it will freeze the system and you will not be able to play until it is fixed.

One way to prevent it is to use an external fan. An external fan will help cool down the system.