[How To] Build the toolchain & make application files(windows)

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by gojohnnyboi, May 2, 2008.

1. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

THIS IS FOR 1.1.X NOT 2.0!

Ok, so this guide is basically for you new Objective-C guys who wanna start developing, and don't know what to do!

What you need:
    1. An iPod Touch/iPhone with OpenSSH
    2. A computer running on windows OS
    3. About 30 minutes - 1 hour of time on your hands

Step 1 - Downloading the necessary files

This part is simple. Simply download these files listed below, and save them to your desktop for now.

[PIRACY.rs] link: http://[PIRACY.rs].com/files/112116927/Toolchain_Files.zip.html

Step 2 - Installing Cygwin

Ok, so basically open CygwinSetup.exe, and get to the screen in which it asks you to choose a url for the setup.

in the textbox that allows you to ADD a url, type this:

then click "Add"

Make sure that that url is selected, and press continue, then continue again. The installation will probably take about 15 minutes.

Step 3 - Installing The Developer Tools & Setting Up Shop

Here you will just take the file, "Archive.pax.gz", and place in in the home directory of cygwin. What is this you ask? Well, simply open "My Computer" in windows, then select the C:\ drive, and navigate to C:\cygwin\home\your_username, and place the gz file there.

NOTE: In some rare cases, cygwin makes the home directory somewhere else, so you must find it.

Once you've done this, open the cygwin bash shell(cygwin application), and follow the onscreen steps.

You will be asked the following things:
    1. Your iPod/iPhone's IP Address
    2. Your root password( note: this is default alpine )

Again, make sure you have OpenSSH installed, enter your information, and let it download your filesystem. This will take about 20 minutes tops. Then, it will ask you this:

type "y", this is a must. Your toolchain will not work without it!
    It should say "Archive.pax.gz found in current directory". GOOD!!!!!!!

It will extract the gz file, and then take about 10 minutes or so to install all the header files. Yes, this is really boring and annoying, so take a bathroom/food break.

Once installed, you will recieve a message saying "Toolchain installation complete!"

AWESOME, you're ready to go make some apps!!!!!!!

Application Files/Prep

Ok, so most of you will already know how to make the applications. I just use notepad and save with the correct extension, however i've included a setup exe file for a program called "extensionchanger", which makes for easy file extension changing. For those having trouble saving from notepad/anything else you use, use extensionchanger to change it to what you want.

For more help making apps, see Skylar's AWESOME tutorial here:http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58898

That will get you started just fine.

Making/Compiling Applications

Ok, so as you have seen in Skylar's tutorial, there is a file called "makefile". This file is basically what the whole toolchain is about. When you open Cygwin, navigate to the directory with your app files with the command:

Code:
    cd c:/directory/directoryofapps
    NOTE: the directory might not be like that...lol

NOW, FOR THE MAIN EVENT ->> Compiling!

Compiling is simple. There is a magic word, and that word is: make

believe it or not, the complete use of the toolchain is to type this word. Once in the directory of your app files, and you have a makefile, simply type make to compile the app. Simple yes? I know.

So go out there and make us some sweet apps!

-Gojohnnyboi
    1 person likes this.
  2. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Awesome! Thanks... So do we for example copy/paste Skylars stuff into a notepad and save it as he suggested?

And how do we create a MakeFile? Like what do we specify?

+REP
  3. gojohnnyboi

pretty much
  4. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I open up Cygwin and I type in
    cd C:\cygwin\cygdrive\App

But it just tells me cant find directory.
  5. Snootae

Snootae New Member

thanks man, sylar didn't do an excellent job on explaining how to compile (though the rest of it was awesome)

ooh, i must have been so close, but i put the makefile where the bash shell was, not the home directory

thanks for clearing that up
  6. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Skylar didnt do any job on explaining how to compile. Lol
  7. Snootae

Snootae New Member

grrrr, it wont let me type anything when it asks for the password, any ideas?
  8. RazerM

RazerM New Member

C:\cygwin is the location of it's own filesystem basically, so to change dir into C:\cygwin\home\username\appdir, you type "cd /home/username/appdir"

Normally when you type a password it is hidden with dots or asterisks, but in cygwin the whole password is hidden, just type the pass and press enter
  9. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    wheres the makefile?

edit:I found it and put it in the apps folder, but i get a "make *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." error

where do i put the make file?
  10. gojohnnyboi

the makefile is a file that is the "direction" for the compiler to compile your app.....see Skylar's thread for info about it