How to begin.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Akiyama Mio, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

People are now frequently posting threads in this section, mostly due to the fact that the app store is getting more and more popular. Many big companies, such as Namco are making iPhone divisions, making people think that the App Store is quite worth developing for.

Now, you're all set. You have a mac (or a hackinstosh, not suggested though.), the iPhone SDK, and a paid developer program (optional, but required for release on the App Store). What now?

That's what is asked, a bit too much. In order to begin developing, you must have the following:

• An INTEL Mac running OS X Leopard or Later
    • the iPhone SDK (Download available below)
    • A registered member on developer.apple.com (Free or not, it's required to download various things)

To become a member in ADC, press iPhone Dev Center. Press register, right below the iPhone Dev Center banner. You may use an existing Apple ID, or create a new one. After you're done that, you may become a member to the iPhone Developer Program. This allows you too get your applications on the App Store and testing your application on your device. The price to enroll is $99/year.

Now for what most people want, what you'll need to know.
    • Basic information about Xcode and Interface builder, and what there roles are in developing.
    • How to define new Objective-C classes
    • How to manage memory, how to create and release objects in Objective-C
    • The role of delegate objects in managing application behavior.
    • The role of the target-action paradigm in managing your user interface.

Developing on Operating Systems other than OS X
    Developing on operating systems other than OS X is very popular in the jailbreak, due to the pricing of macs, or people are lazy to hackintosh or have incompatible systems. If you're wondering how to do this, first you need either Linux or Windows. There isn't really any other OSes that don't run Linux, so you're going to have one of the three. There is also a way to use your device as a build platform.

Linux
    To compile iDevice applications on linux, you need to build the toolchain yourself. A toolchain is a kit of tools, compilers, and linkers that will build your application for you. Jason Freeman, also known as saurik, has a guide on how to do this here.

Windows
    If you are running any version of Windows, you can make applications for the jailbreak community as well. You need to download and install cygwin. You can download it at www.cygwin.com. Instructions for setting up cygwin can be found here

iDevice
    Info on this can be found here.

As for resources, there are various websites and books that are meant for helping you.

Websites

Many people need examples, or sometimes just can't find out how to do something by themselves. That's when tutorials come in. Please though, don't follow a tutorial then claim you made something all by yourself!

Tutorials

Sample Code
    This section will be updated later.

I suggest various software to help with your development. Some of it is quite advanced though, so I only suggest you do this after starting for a while.

Cocos2d is a framework for building 2D games, demos, and other graphical/interactive applications. It is available to download here. Chicken, a member here at iPod Touch Fans, also a developer of various applications has tutorials for it available in the tutorials section.

Skylar posted something called a Clang Static Analyzer. This finds bugs and errors that Xcode doesn't, and checks for memory leaks. It's one of the best things you can do for your application, download it here.

Hopefully this will help. As I progress, more and more will be added. A lot more tutorials. More books will be added when more 3.0 books are available.

FAQ [Frequently Asked Questions]

Q: How do I test my application on my device without being in the developer program?
    A: There are various methods, some work and some don't. I'll list various ways throughout as I update this guide.

First method is quite simple and has worked various times for me. With your device plugged in, go into Organizer. Then scroll down to "Applications". You should see a list of all of the applications on your profile. Now what you need to do, if you haven't already, is go back into Xcode. Make SURE you have it set to DEBUG and DEVICE. You WILL get the error message, don't worry. Now, you need to go into "Products" on the sidebar in Xcode, and right click the .app and press "Reveal in Finder". This should show a folder with your .app in it. Go back to Organizer, and then press the + button under the box. Get your .app from that folder, and go. It works fine for me ^-^; UPDATE: For some reason, this hasn't worked for some people. Try the next method if this doesn't work.

This is quite simple also, but it requires a jailbroken device. Simply SSH in your application and give it a run. [Will update later also.]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a good start, I think. As I update, I'll be adding much more things, such as definitions. Thanks ~

Update log #1 - Added instructions on how to put your app on your device without ADC Program

Update log #2 - Added Other OS instructions

Update log #3 - Added a few things, added more tutorials and a Sample Code section.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  3. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Read the bottom, I'm slowly updating. Doing the best I can on a tight schedule, I have to do a few reviews aswell. And, sorry, I knew it was by francis, just meant that Skylar posted it. Fixing now.

EDIT - Oh, feel free to add anything you want! Just post what you want me to add and I'll add it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Dr. Rambo

Dr. Rambo Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Do any of those books assume you have some prior experience in, say, C?
  5. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nice review it will help alot of people
  6. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Didn't Skylar also say to include instructions for users running Linux & Windows?
  7. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Oh right. I don't really know much about developing on those though, so if anyone wants to send me written instructions and what you need to know, I'll add it in and you'll receive credit.
  8. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  9. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  10. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

I'll add them when I get to add the next update. ^-^ Thanks for the suggestions and continue to suggest.

Mods, will you change the title to "How to begin developing for the iDevice"?