How to backup with iBackupBot when the lock icon appears

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipodtouch7, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi. I'm trying to restore a backup from yesterday using iBackupBot, in order to retrieve movies that I lost when I restored my ipod touch 4 last night. The movies were my own that I had transfered from my computer over to itunes. After the transfer I deleted them from my computer to free up space. Someone on this website helped walk me through backing up my ipod through itunes before restoring it. It fixed the problem I was having with my ipod, but in the process I lost my movies. The person then advised me to restore my backup from yesterday using iBackupBot, which I have downloaded. I'm too embarrased to continue asking for additional help b/c the person has already helped me so much. The advice I was given was to right click on the backup from yesterday, and then to click 'restore'. I see the restore button, but it is grayed out so I can't click on it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the padlock icon next the backup. If anyone has any advise I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    In iBackupBot, Select your backup.

-On the top panel you'll see an icon (It looks like a video icon) it'll say "Export Media Files" when you mouse over it.
    -Click it, a new window will open
    -On the new window, on the left side panel, select camera roll.
    -You're video should be in there (If it's not iTunes didn't back it up and it's lost forever, sorry

Please Register or Log in to view images

) They may not be listed by date, but do have different icons (makes it easier to find a video)
    -Click the icon in the upper left hand corner (file icon with arrow pointing right). It'll say "export" when moused over.
    -Select a place to export it (a folder, not desktop unless you want a thousand files on your desktop).
    -Let it export. Your video will be in the folder (if it was in the backup, if not, then iTunes didn't back up and we can't recover

)

Hopefully this will get your videos back

You can sync them through iTunes (I don't know if it'll sync videos into the photos app). But it'll sync to the videos/iPod app.

By the way, don't ever be embarrassed to ask questions, that's a sign of smartness (asking for help when you need it, it's a very useful life skill).

CRAP... Forgot about the lock... If you can't do this, let me know. The lock normally means your backup is encrypted (in the iTunes settings; I don't know if you can take off the encryption in there).
  3. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi tinyman392! Thanks for answering another one of my questions. I'm new to posting questions. Yesterday was the first time I've ever posted a question anywhere. I wasn't sure if asking more questions was pushing it or not. Thanks for letting me know it would've been ok.

I see a bunch of icons at the top, but none of them say 'export media files' when I mouse over them. The buttons say: reload backup info from disc, open a backup that exported before, export selected backup to folder (grayed out), import files that exported before (grayed), the next 5 don't seem like they apply, restore backup/file to iphone/itouch, the question mark, and quit.

When I right click (like you advised before) on yesterday's back up I see an option to export and one to restore, but they're also gray.

Thanks for your help.
  4. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Your backup is encrypted, I'm going to try to find a way.
  5. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I'm sorry if I was unclear. It was the name of my backup that I was trying to right click on. I think you're right that I won't be able to restore my videos b/c they're encrypted. Since I'm new to the ipod, I'm glad I had this problem where I learned how to restore early on and loose just a handful of movies, rather than later. If I ever have to do this again will I be able to copy my movies from itunes back to my computer, even though the orginal file on my computer no longer exists? Also, I did have a passcode on my ipod. Before backing up, should I remove the passcode, and then I won't have this problem again? Thanks for all of your help.
  6. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just read your post where you said you might be able to find a way if my backup is encrypted. That would be so great, but if you're not able to thank you so much for trying!
  7. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I don't know if this will do it, but remove the encryption on the backup. Do this by going into iTunes... On the main iPod screen (shows a picture of your iPod; tabs for apps, music, videos, etc. on top) scroll down, and you'll see encrypt iPod Backup. Uncheck it. Hit OK. Type in the password (you set this, I wouldn't know it). Let it backup. Then try and see if it has a lock. If it doesn't follow the directions above.

If this doesn't work, I really can't help you further because it requires you to decrypt the password on the backup. Extremely difficult to do.

Let me know if any of your backups have locks on them. If they do, it most likely didn't work.

If you have any other backups, try those too (maybe they also have the video in them; but it's unlikely).
  8. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That was interesting. I did what you said and it removed the lock from today, but not from yesterday's backup. I'll now know to do that in the future should I encounter a problem again. I just noticed that I can see my movies in the back up from today. Could that be possible they're somewhere? Rememeber I can see the picture icons of them in itunes under movies, but when I click on them they won't play b/c itunes is unable to find the original file. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  9. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    You can try to look for the video in the new backup. But I don't think it'll be in there... You have to remove the password off the backup. Really difficult to do.

If you want, you can do any of the following (they may not work):
    -Restore from the old backup until the video pops up (I don't know if you got any photos. If you got some there's a chance you'll get the videos back)
    -Contact Apple support/genius bar about this. Don't forget to unjailbreak your iPod.

Unfortunately, I have to go to bed. So I'll see you in the morning... Again.

10. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thank you so very much!!! I greatly appreciate all of your help!