How to backup then restore my new gen iTouch that has Kindle books on it

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OedipaMaas, Mar 16, 2009.

1. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas New Member

Hi all!

Sorry for the seemingly basic question, but I've done a fair amount of searching on this and could find no answers. Actually, i did an even simpler search (without including the Kindle app issue) and still received very few matches....both on here and on the Web. So not sure if this is something people just know how to do so intuitively, that no documentation is even needed...but in my case, I really need some pointers.

I have a brand new iTouch 2.2.1 with iTunes 8.1. For the second time now, my iTouch has failed to sync correctly. All my music on the device disappeared and I've been prompted to Restore the device to Factory Settings. The first time I ran into this issue (about a month ago) I just followed the iTunes prompts to wipe the device clean and afterward, somehow, the iTouch was then restored with its apps and everything else (music included). So that was great!

Please Register or Log in to view images

But that was before I got Kindle from Amazon, something which I use everyday now. All the other apps I have, other than Kindle, are from Apple. So somehow, I guess, iTunes is set to work with all of the apps and music files (including settings) from apple, but to sync Kindle with material I purchase from Amazon, it uses a different technology apart from iTunes called WhisperSync. So it bypasses iTunes all together when I trnasfer my purchases onto my iTouch.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I now have about 20 Kindle books and chapter samples from Amazon on my iTouch, along with bookmarks and annotations, that I really don't want to lose if I have to restore it to Factory Settings again. Will I lose these Kindle books and settings if I have to reset my iTouch this time around? Will I have to resynch with Amazon and if so, what will I have to do to get all of these purchases and sample chapters again back onto my iTouch?

Also, why the hell does a simple sync turn into a complete deletion of my music off my iTouch followed by a prompt to wipe it clean and reinstall my stuff? It's just the music too...my other stuff seems to be fine. All I was trying to do was to add another album I had just ripped to iTunes.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Oedipa
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Any chance of getting even a link to point me in the right direction?
  2. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So...the problem is that you want to retain your amazon books that are on your iPod touch...without losing them if you restore.

First of all I would email Amazon about this. There must be some way that those books are also on your computer and not just on your iPod touch. If that does not work out, I suggest you SSH and see if there is a directory with your books (highly unlikely). If there is then transfer it back to your computer. Amazon might know more about this though...

In regards to your iTunes issue I suggest you connect your iPod touch and hit manually manage music and video's (I think it says that). This should get rid of your problem with complete syncs wiping your iPod touch of data. Tell me if it works!
  3. dannnyds

dannnyds New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hakk79 is pretty much right there, just manage ur music manually and in itunes "right" click on ur ipod and go back up. also i dunno if this is the same for the kindle but with stanza it saves the books with the app.