How to backup the iTouch 1.1.4.?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Accu, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Accu

Accu New Member

Hi after I spent an entire day putting all the programs I want on my touch I came across the question how do I backup the entire thing?
    Is there a smart way to do it? Lets say in case something goes wrong I simply restore my backup?

Right now I'm coping the following folders to my hard disk:
    - applications
    - bin
    - DEV
    - Libriary
    - private
    - sbin
    - usr

does this make sense?
  2. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Yes I would also like to know which files should and should not be backed up.
    I messed up my touch yesterday, it got the spinning circle of death, but I was able to SSH and I backed up my Applications and Library folders.
    After restoring and jailbreaking, I uploaded the files to my iPod, but there were apps missing, and when I run apps, they either, crashed or hang up. So I did it the hard way: restored, jailbreak and redownloaded/installed all the apps I neede. It was so much hassle.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Accu

Accu New Member

Hi Darrel,
    you hit the nail on the head. I have the same problem over here.
    Yesterday I tried to backup some folders from the touch (BIN, Applications, Libriaries etc.) but I have the funny feeling that copying back the files wont work. I dont believe that it is that simple. Furthermore some files were in use when I tried to copy them. Maybe there is some backup software out there or anything else that might help to restore the touch ...
  4. maltloaf

maltloaf New Member

is there not a 'sitecopy' function in winscp ? would take a while but at least you would get everything
  5. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Hmmm... But what does it copy? Everything? Then if my ipod gets messed up and ran a backup, when i restore the files, it would still be messed up, right?

Like Accu said, i hope someone makes a program that backs up all the essential files, and then restores everything fine, I mean just the apps.
  6. KalleKanin

KalleKanin New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tried backing up through ftp and it isn't even possible. After a while it comes across a file that cannot be copied for some reason and just aborts. Since there are folders within folders within... I don't know where to resume and what is eventually left out.

It even apparently tried to copy my entire media partition (which I had emptied to avoid that) as one HUGE file.

It took me days of work to tweak the iPod to this level of perfection. It really is amazing now. And I'm starting to get nervous about installing new stuff and doing changes for fear of losing it all again.
  7. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Well, good luck.
    Darn, we need a backup tool!
    Will somebody make one?!

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  8. NYyankees472

NYyankees472 New Member

changes the commands or w/e to 0755
  9. greg4403

greg4403 New Member

I am running a windows (XP) based OS. I have Cygwin installed on it. Today I installed rsnapshot and was able to backup my entire Ipod touch. I'm happy with the backup part but it is not the ideal solution I am looking for in that it really doesn't restore. It also doesn't compress. There is samba available and you could create a share of the / (root) directory. Then you could write a script (sh/perl,etc.) to tar or zip.
    I also added Samba to the BossPrefs so I can toggle it on and off.
  10. littleman18

littleman18 New Member

i mite sound dumb er but i only want to backup my music so i can restore my 1.1.1 n upgrade to 1.1.4 jailbreak cuz my old pc is broke n needs a new windows n love my music i av