[How to] Add Fonts to Your iPod

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by ZMOBtiger, Dec 5, 2008.

1. ZMOBtiger

ZMOBtiger New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know who all would be interested in this, but I found a way to add fonts to your iPod's system. Now, this is manual and requires editing system files so there are risks involved. I have done this to add a few fonts without trouble, but I cannot guarantee that it will work for every font you try. I am running 2.1 also, so I don't know how compatible this is with older firmwares. Anyway, lets get to it:

1) Find a font file that you want to add and make sure it is a .ttf file (true type font and it must be lowercase, I have gotten mine from the system files on my laptop, which uses windows, and they worked after I made the extension lowercase)

2) Navigate to /System/Library/Fonts/Cache and copy your font file to this folder

3) Go back to the /System/Library/Fonts folder and copy the CGFontCache.plist file to your computer. (You will need a .plist editor to edit this file, use google to find one; I use pledit.exe)

4)Open this file and look for where your font would be listed alphabetically in the list of Names.

5)Type this in:
    <key>FontName</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Fonts/Cache/FontName.ttf</string>

6)Then scroll down in the file into the TraitMapping section and insert this (alphabetically again, so it should be after the same font as in step 5):
    <key>Font Name</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Plain</key>
    <string>FontName</string>
    <dict>

Where Plain is the regular font style. If you wanted to add a bold font (make sure you are using the bold .ttf file) Then you would insert Bold where Plain is above. Look around at the other fonts to get a sense for what the skeem is, its pretty simple.

You may be thinking what is the point of this since none of your apps call upon these new fonts...and I don't really have an answer for that other than you can change the fonts that apps call upon too. I am using Segoe UI for my modded widgets so that they look more like vista. Again, I can't promise you that your fonts will work, but I think this is interesting and hope that you all will too. Attached is a photo of my springboard; the calendar's font, weather widget's font, and dock-clock font are a loaded font.

Attached Files:

2. Bazuny

Bazuny New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Wow, That is a wonderful theme. Too bad i don't have winterboard =(
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

flaw

you mean </dict> at the end there?
  4. chan1600

chan1600 New Member

should add .ttc files for Ipod touch 4g?