How to add custom tones to Textfree

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by philip1192, Mar 1, 2010.

1. philip1192

philip1192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    How to Customize Tones in Textfree

You’ll need:
    A converter to turn the clip into a .aiff file (I use Wondershare Protected Music Converter)
    iFunBox (or other software to browse iPod files)
    SQLite Database Browser (download here)
    iFile

First, you need to get the song you want to turn into a tone. Find the part you want to cut for the tone and use something like Windows Movie Maker or some other program that will edit sound. I use Wondershare iPhone Ringtone Converter to clip it and make a tone. Once you save the file, then open it in your converter and convert it to a .aiff file. Once that's done, change the file extentsion to .caf. To do this, go to tools>folder options>view and make it show file extensions for known file types. Then, right-click the file and change .aiff to .caf. Press enter and select yes in the window that pops up warning you that the file may not work properly. Now, rename the song name so that it is in this format: tone_song_name.caf

Now, your tone is ready to be transferred to your iPod or iPhone. In iFile, go to User>Applications and find textfree on the list. Look below the name and make a note of the first 5 characters in that (i.e., DA152) and make a note of it. Plug your iPod into your computer and open iFunBox. Go to Raw Files>User>Applications and then locate the textfree folder. Use the five characters you just took note of and find the folder with those characters in it. Go into that folder and put your new tone in the Textfree.app folder.

Now comes the hard part: editing the .db file to make your new tone show up in Textfree. First, go to the Documents folder in the textfree folder and copy the Customization.db file to your computer. You’ll use SQLite Database Browser to open this file. Once open, the first thing you’ll do is choose the “Browse Data” tab. From there, click the “table” dropdown menu and select t_customizableItem. With this part of the Customization.db file, you can enable all the text tones that Pinger tries to sell you for $0.99 and also enable all the themes. I’ll go into that at the end, though. Select “New Record” in the top-right corner and it should take you to the bottom and show you an empty row.

In the first box, in the column “ROWID,” there will be a number equal to the number on the far left, a number that you can’t edit.
    In the second box, in the column itemID, you put the Item ID in the format tone_song_title.
    In the third box, in the column “name,” put what you want the title to be when you see it in textfree.
    In the fourth box, in the column “state,” put the number 2. This tells textfree to show it in the app.
    In the fifth box, in the column “itemType,” put the number 4. This tells textfree that it is a tone.
    In the sixth box, in the column “location,” type the file name of the song, in the format tone_song_name.caf
    In the seventh box, in the column “category,” give it a category. I use the category Custom, but you can make it anything you want.
    And the final box you don’t need to mess with, in the column “serverSynchronized.”
    Below is an example of what it should look like when it’s done, except that the ROWID will change for each row you add.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Once you have finished that, save Customization.db and put it back on the iPod in the Documents folder in the Textfree folder. You can now open textfree and give a contact this song as their tone.

However, there is one downside: when you get a push notification, it gives whatever tone you had set for that person originally. The way I solve the problem is to name that tone after one that comes with the app (i.e., tone_boing.caf, tone_wail.caf, tone_cow_moo.caf, etc.) and put that new tone in the Textfree.app folder, overwriting the old one. (for example, I rename tone_lucy.caf to be tone_boing.caf. I put it in the Textfree.app folder and overwrite the old tone_boing.caf). Now, go into Textfree and make the person’s tone the one you just overwrote and then change it to the custom tone (for example, I go into textfree and make Bob’s tone “Boing” then I change it to “Lucy”).

(If anyone can find out where the settings are stored for push notifications, please let me know. I’d be happy to figure out how to modify it to bypass that part of the process)

Congratulations! You’re done adding a tone! The more you do it, the easier the process gets, so it won’t always take long.

I mentioned that I would tell you how to add the tones and themes from the tone pack without having to buy it…here’s how: change all the zeros to twos under the “state” column if the item type is 4 or 3. 3 is theme, just so you know. Enjoy your custom tones and your free 50 tones from Pinger!
  2. netodude

netodude New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yea umm i dont have the .db file. i looked through everything in the folder. can you upload it.? please and thank you
  3. philip1192

philip1192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You looked in the Documents folder inside the Textfree app folder? And I don't mean the Textfree.app folder, I mean the one with a name that's about 20 characters long and doesn't spell anything.
  4. jayb_777

jayb_777 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    do you know how to get ringtones longer than 4 seconds? its really annoying
  5. philip1192

philip1192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You just make them longer. I made my ringtones as long as I wanted them. I've got some nearly 20 seconds long.
  6. jayb_777

jayb_777 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    wont let me add more than 4 sec.
  7. philip1192

philip1192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm not sure why. Maybe the new update messed it up. I'll see if I can post an old version of the customization.db file.
  8. jayb_777

jayb_777 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yo never mind its my fault...i was converting it to .caf instead of .aiff once i did that it worked i got a 45 sec ringtone
  9. philip1192

philip1192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Oh. Ok. That makes sense.
  10. jayb_777

jayb_777 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    one question....can i receive pictures with this app?