[HOW TO] Access SSH on Computer via USB (NO WiFi Required)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SpeedyApocalypse, Feb 17, 2010.

1. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Note: It has come to my attention that if you used RedSn0w to jailbreak, you do not need Afc2add. I recommend installing it anyways.

Access SSH on Computer via USB (NO WiFi Required)​

By SpeedyApocalypse​

Hello iPodTouchFans community and welcome to my 3rd guide here on "How to access SSH (internal folders and filesystem) on your iPod Touch or iPhone via USB without Internet". You can see my other guides in the Tutorials section of iPodTouchFans.

SSH is important to almost everyone that jailbreaks their device. This allows them to access the root filesystem of the iDevice which allows them to see application files, see System files and pictures that make up the firmware, and access everything the makes the iDevice "tick."

For this guide, you are going to need the following:

- A Computer
    - Temporary internet connection WITH wireless
    - Ability to Download onto your computer
    - OpenSSH from Cydia (You do not need this but I recommend installing it anyways)
    - Afc2add from Cydia
    - iFunBox (will give links later on)
    - iDevice USB cord (to connect to your computer)
    - Jailbroken iDevice
    - iTunes

Alrighty, now we shall get started. First of all, you are going to need to download some packages from Cydia. You are going to need to download 2 packages. Only one of these installations will require a reboot of your device. If your device is tethered, simply run Blackra1n to reboot. To install the following packages from Cydia, just use the search function toward the bottom right corner.

Download these packages:

OpenSSH (this is a featured package in Cydia, does not require a restart, this is not vital for this process, but it helps overall when having a jailbroken iDevice. After installing this, I would recommend changing the password from "alpine")

Please Register or Log in to view images

Afc2add (this allows you to see the root filesystem on the program that we use. This is already installed if you used RedSn0w to jailbreak.)

Once you have both of these things installed, you are going to need to download iFunBox. iFunBox is like WinSCP but without any WiFi needed, therefore, you can use this without having to forward ports or even need internet at all. You can download iFunBox at the following website (this is the iFunBox official website).

http://www.i-funbox.com/

iFunBox is a single file, there is no need for an installation. You will download it as a .Zip. Just extract it and you will have one file that says iFunBox.exe. There are multiple languages that you can download iFunBox in. Once you have downloaded iFunBox, you can open it up. This is what it should look like:

This is just an image that I found on the internet, you will see your iPod or iPhone if it is connected.

Once you have downloaded iFunBox and you see your iDevice in it, you have done this guide correctly. Congratulations! You can make bookmarks for files, browse files, etc. Without Afc2add, you will not be able to see Raw File System, which is pretty much the reason that we did this whole guide. Now, you can access SSH from a USB connection and there is no need for internet or WiFi. This is great if you need to access SSH on the go!

If you liked my guide, say thanks!
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    wow nice guide
  3. ish1tsn0w

ish1tsn0w Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if you jailbroke with redsn0w you don't need afc2add
  4. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you could include that iTunes needs to be installed in your computer. and i dont think you need openssh to use iFunbox, do you?
  5. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I am not 100% sure about if OpenSSH is needed but it is good to have nevertheless. Obviously the person would need iTunes if they had an iPod

6. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ive used SSH with iFunbox without OpenSSH and it works fine. well what if they wanted to use SSH on another computer?
  7. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Alright, added to my guide

8. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You DO NOT need OpenSSH for USB transfers. In fact, i would recommend not installing it, due to the recent virus scares etc. If you are going to recommend people install it, you should at least tell them how to change the mobile and root passwords also.

Redsn0w installs Afc2add for you, so you do not need to intsall that unless you jailbroke with blackra1n.

Other than that, good guide.
  9. ssdcommander

ssdcommander Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    Or you could just use iPhone folders and not have to do anything
  10. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^its still good to have afc2add anyways