How the Kindle Could be EPIC

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by MrFairladyz, Mar 1, 2009.

1. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This thing is pretty cool, but not everyone reads books. it needs more. First off, it has a huge +.... its big. you can have a qwerty keyboard, a touchscreen, and some powerful insides, and no one can b*tch about it not fitting in your pocket, because its not supposed to. If you look at the kindle 2, it has just about the same specs/features as the iphone. It has an internet connection (not the fastest, but free) a screen (no color, but its for reading books), a speaker, flash memory (a small amount), etc... as for the processor... Kindle 2 is 532mhz, the ipod touch 2g's is 523, iphone 3g's is 412. Point here is, why doesn't the kindle, a device about 4 times the size of the iphone, take advantage of its size and add some more features?

what additional features do you think would make you want to buy the kindle?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Its 359 frickin dollars. Start off by lowering the price. Its an ebook reader. It doesn't require that much hardware features. It should have an SDK probably. For more software. But then Sprint would probably be mad at Amazon for the increase in traffic. Plus, it ONLY has 2GB of HDD space. And you can't increase that.
  3. lumpy211

lumpy211 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Aye, price is indeed the limiting factor, at least for me. If I want to read eBooks, I'll install Stanza on my iPod Touch (Stanza has many free books). My iPod also plays MP3s/Audiobooks, can browse the web (in color to boot), has PIM applications (calendar, contacts, notes), and has loads of free programs as well as paid ones. On top of that, Amazon has hinted that the Kindle store may be available on other platforms - perhaps the iPhone/iPod. Why would I want to pay $300+ and still have to pay for the books too when I can just load it up on my mobile that I got for free from my cell phone carrier?

About the only thing that the Kindle has going for it is that it's made to read books with its larger screen. There have been devices that have been doing that for longer and cheaper. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for the Kindle with its current list of capabilities, especially because I don't care about the free internet (come on, the web on a monochrome screen?). Amazon would make back anything they lost from the sale of the Kindle itself in books I'd buy from them. If Amazon wants me to pay the full price, they need to at the very least replicate everything I can do with my iPod. Add bluetooth, an FM receiver, a camera, a microSD slot for further expansion, and open it up so that I have the ability to load up Android or whatever OS I want, then I'd consider paying what they're asking.
  4. JustCallMeCloud

JustCallMeCloud New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Kindle uses a certain technology on there screens that doesn't need a back light. I can't read more then 3 pages of an ebook with the iPod because the light irritates my eyes.

I would prefer if the Kindle went the other way and have less features. All I would want are the following:
    - Wi-Fi Support
    - microSD slot
    - Reads Ebooks (Supports .doc, .docx, .txt, .pdf, ect)
    - Price tag less then $100.

Anything else is overkill for a ebook reader.