How the H3LL did this happen???

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by Grits, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

I purchased an Ipod touch in Dec (yeah, for Xmas) I allowed my 12 yr old son to put some songs on it. He had the Ipod set to his laptop to charge. We had a bad storm come through and the the next thing I know the Ipod wont come on at all! So, it has sat for 6 months. When I finally went to use his laptop, my boyfriend told me that the firmware for the damn thing is ON HIS LAPTOP! Now, how the hell did this happen and how can I get it back into my Ipod so I can finally use it (without my son EVER TOUCHING IT AGAIN!). Ok, so maybe it wasn't his fault, but something had to have happened. No, he's not a computer wiz or geek or genious, he plugged it and let it charge... maybe the lightening did something, I don't know. When I plug in the Ipod, it doesn't get recognized by an Ipod, it just shows unknown device found.

Anyone have any solutions?

GRITS
  2. Screamworks

Screamworks Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Could be your USB cable or something. If it is regognised as a camera, that is Normal.
  3. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try Putting it into DFU mode, then plugging it into iTunes and restoring.
    DFU Mode guide Here
  4. Grits

Grits New Member

Nope that's not it...

When we plug it into the computer, the bottom right side shows up with a bubble saying unknown device. The Ipod won't show anything on the screen. My son just mentioned to me that it was restoring while on iTunes when the Ipod did this.
    So... we cannot do the DFU mode, and the cables are fine, the computer states unknown device found. Like I said, the firmware is sitting on his laptop's desktop.
  5. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If you are on iTunes 8.2, try downgrading to a lower version (eg. 8.1.1)
  6. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    your son was trying to jailbreak, something he shouldn't do if he doesn't know what he's doing. and you can ALWAYS do DFU. It's a hardwired recovery mode meaning (in theory) you could wipe all software from the device and it would still go into DFU mode. Follow the link and do the steps. I find it works best if you count mississippies so you know the pacing is right.

My method for DFU:
    1. press the power button for about 5 seconds
    2. press and hold the power and the home buttons together for 10 seconds
    3. release the power button and continue holding the home button till your computer chimes and a window pops up saying iPod in recovery mode detected.

once you get it recognized open iTunes and click restore. set it up as a new iPod and wait till you see the lock screen before disconnecting it.
  7. ggtus

ggtus Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    since it seems he was trying to jailbreak, she would have no use for that firmware on the desktop, correct?
  8. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah, the legitimate firmware will be hidden in an itunes folder, not on the desktop. If for whatever reason he moved it from that folder iTunes should download it on it's own when it finds it not there. The other thing he might have been trying to do was illegally upgrade to 3.0 without paying. In any case, a full restore is the only way to fix the device.
  9. johonto

johonto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^^^ well maybe he wuz trying to use quickfreedon or redtool...
  10. Grits

Grits New Member

He just said he was previously trying to Jailbreak... whatever the hell that is! I hear that word a lot, what is it? and why is it so vastly wanted?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Nevermind about that question, I realize from what I previously read, it's not to be discussed. I just know that I am extremely pissed and I just want my crap functioning as I bought it. Pretty sad that I buy something and don't even get to do anything with it bc of this program! Ugh...