How safe for the future it is to jailbreak ipod touch 8g (MC) 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gabriel Simões, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Gabriel Simões

Gabriel Simões New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello,

First I´m sorry if similar threads have been made before. I´ve looked for them but haven´t found. Also, english is not my main language so forgive any spelling mistakes...

I have an IPod Touch "3g" 8 gb that has been factory assembled with firmware 3.1.2. I´ve read a lot about the tethered jailbreak and have been waiting since december for greenpo1son but this afternoon I decided to give it up and go for blackra1n.

Well, too late now I can´t backup my shsh anymore (just ECID) and I got pretty afraid of jailbreaking it with blackra1n and for any need, not being able to roll back to 3.1.2 in the future.
    Also, since this would be my first jailbreak I don´t know if it would be possible to unjailbreak it if needed (back to 3.1.2).

So I´d like to ask you guys which are fair more experient than me in this subject: is it safe for me to jailbreak now? Should I backup shsh and ecid from 3.1.3 and jailbreak 3.1.2 without thinking twice? Is there anything I can do now so I´m able to roll back to 3.1.2 if needed?

What trouble could I run into if I decide to jailbreak it now?

Thanks for your help,
    Gabriel Simões
  2. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey, and welcome to the forums. Your english is very good, much better than alot of the native english speakers we get here

Please Register or Log in to view images

First of all, if you have 3.1.2 you can jailbreak your iPod now with eitehr Blackra1n or Redsn0w. Black ra1n is really quick and easy, but some people claim redsn0w is more stable. I used Blackra1n and never had any problems.

The ECID SHSH signatures are only needed if you you ever need to restore in the future for any reason. If you havenot backed up the signatures, you would only be able to restore to Apples latest firmware, but if you have your signatures saved, you could restore to 3.1.2.
    HOWEVER, there is a method to restore the 8gb to 3.1.2 without the signatures backed up

. See here for information if you ever need it.

At the moment, you would be fine to Jailbreak with either Blackra1n or Redsn0w, and as you have an 8gb you do not need to worry about being able to restore back to 3.1.2!
  3. Gabriel Simões

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    THanks for your answer ibizaGTi!

Well, don´t ask me why but I´ve let it go and haven´t backed up ECID and SHSH. By what I´ve read ECID isn´t a problem ... shsh is.
    I think I will give it a shot, run blackra1n (haven´t read about redsn0w being able of jailbreaking ipt3 8gb, gonna look for it), save shsh for 3.1.3 and hope not to have problems in the future.

And just to be safe I will save a copy of itunes´s actual version and the 2g 3.1.2 ipsw for coca cola´s restore method!

Thank you once again
  4. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No problem.

As i said, you shouldn't need to backup either your ECID or SHSH, as you can just restore with Coca-Cola'a method

Good luck with the jailbreak!
  5. Gabriel Simões

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The thing is .... will this method work indefinitely or will apple lock it in the next itunes release?

------------------double post merged------------------
    jailbreaked!
  6. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I doubt it will be blocked, and even if it is, just dont update your iTunes!

congrats on the jailbreak

...you can do so much more with the iPod now!
  7. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah, your English is very good, even compared to many of those that speak it natively...

Anyways, congrats on the jailbreak! It is a lot of fun (at least initially)!
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yeah, you are great at English, some people on here are horrible at it, and they were born and raised here... Makes me worried..

But good job on the jailbreak!! You have now fully unlocked the iPod Touch!!
  9. Gabriel Simões

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    24 hours after the jailbreak and it seems I have a totally new device in my hands ...
    The only drawback is baterry ... I´m pushing it too far now

(thank you god for backgrounder!!!!)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    One doubt ... apps installed consume more disk space than the ipa files, right?