How powerful is the touch gfx-wise?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pettson3816, Feb 6, 2008.

1. pettson3816

pettson3816 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Could the iPod Touch compete with the PSP graphics wise? How fast is the processor in the touch? I heard it's capped at about 300-400mhz but is capable of doing 600 mhz or something, not sure about the exact numbers. Does it have a gfx chip built into it also?

I hear the PSP is at about 333mhz, but maybe it's built better for gaming, i mean clock frequency can't be all there is to it.

Are there any impressive gfx demos out there so i can see what the touch can do in the gfx department?

I'm really sorry for my sh*tty english, i'm from sweden, but i think you'll understand me if you read this once or twice.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

It has 412 MHz.

I don't know about the rest.
  3. rinn

rinn Banned

the ipod touch has a 600MHz ARM processor, but yeh its capped at 412 MHz..it has 128 MiB RAM...and no graphics accelerator...so it cant run PSP games....im sure its capable but look at psx4all...only a couple games can run at 95ish percent speed...but thats not perfected yet...
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It does have a 3D accelerator, and uses OpenGL (or OpenGL-ES, not sure which). I don't know how powerful the accelerator is, and I presume it's proprietary, so there's probably not an easy way to find out without coding up a benchmarker.
  5. Brumski

Brumski New Member

Lots of NES and GBA games run at less than 15 fps so I don't think the iPod touch would be good for gaming.
  6. tjfoz

tjfoz New Member

Ya, but then again they are emulators and the official sdk hasn't came out yet. You wait, there will be some amazing things that will come out.
  7. refl3x

refl3x New Member

lol don't keep your hopes up
  8. MiG™

MiG™ New Member

Been saying this for ages and nobody believed me. I'd say someone could port a few easy benchmarks such as how many polygons you chuck to the screen and what not.

Its hard to tell since the OS is Driven by the Accelerator...
  9. theray

theray New Member

touch doesn't have gpu.....opengl is a render platform such as directx...the opengl engine that is used in iphysics is only 2d...the 3d calc are solved by the cpu, but it's slower than a gpu....
  10. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Yes it does. A PowerVR MBX, I recently discovered. Uses an embedded OpenGL-ES framework.