How necessary are headphones

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by b1j4nt, May 28, 2009.

1. b1j4nt

b1j4nt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've been using the apple stock headphones for quite a while, I like their ease of use and portability but I want to know if buying an actual pair will improve the sound quality a lot and by how much. I want to get a fancier pair of headphones but I feel pretty intimidated by the price tags of many as an iPod is $200 and I don't feel its worth paying $100 for just headphones/earphones.

-Thanks
  2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You don't have to pay 100 dollars to get a substantial increase over the craptacular apple earbuds.

40 or 50 bucks is enough to get some nice quality headphones. Sennheiser offers a variety of quality headphones at a not so expensive price. I bought the NuForce Ne-7m's for about 50 bucks and believe me they are way better the "ibuds"
  3. davies-09

davies-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    sound quality can be vastly improved depending on how much money you want to send on headphones, the bass is improved greatly with more expensive headphones.
    I have a pair of seinhieser(or however its spelt) headphones, i got as a present about 3 years ago, they still work after all this time, frequently used (twice everyday). So i can recommend Seinhieser as a brand, there products are generally good, they cost about £40.
  4. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah $50 is enough to give a dynamic sound and something that will make you regret why you haven't used anything but bundled iPod earbuds.
  5. b1j4nt

b1j4nt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    do you have to have the ear cup style headphones for great quality or is it possible to find some time of earbud that works just as well and is affordable. Also can you link?
  6. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I haven't tried an earbud that gave good sound... plus I'd rather protect my hearing with IEMs than earbuds.
  7. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

I would never stray away from in ear now. And it makes a huge difference.
  8. div^

div^ New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
  9. CriminalCouture

CriminalCouture New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    check amazon or ebay for in ear buds. They are considerably lower priced then their msrp. I was able to get altec lansing with ultimate ear technology buds that were priced at $80 but I paid $40. You DO NOT want to pay more then that because earbuds can go out. Ive went through two pairs of Ultimate ears that are priced at 399 in the course of 5 years. so you just have to ask yourself if your willing to make an investment if you want that. But I dont think you need to pay that much for good sound. I find the ibuds are way too harsh on treble and with a well built in ear bud there should be a significant improvement in low frequencies and clear undistorted high frequencies. I would never ever buy another pair that had the same style as the stock earphones for the ipod because I feel the sound quality can never compare to the in ear bud.
  10. -wiseman-

-wiseman- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Never go to Ebay or Amazon for Headphones, as there is LOADS of fakes arround

I got some CX300II a few months ago, amazing headphones and they only cost £30... I do recomend them