How much would an $800 Apple laptop hurt Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Apple Discussions, Rumours and Speculation' started by jpga13, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    What do you think?

2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think the whole price-reduction idea would defiantly hurt Microsoft.

As said already, many people simply do not buy a MacBook because of their price.
    I'd love to have one, but the price is too expensive, so I made a custom computer and put Leopard on it, all for $700 (Would have been around $2,000 for real iMac, I think)

Considering how the market is today and how people do not have too much money, the lower prices would probably be considered a steal, at least it would be for me getting a new MacBook.
  3. jessikur

jessikur Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ya never know. There are still gonna be cheaper PCs and people who prefer them. And PCs have been dirt cheap for a while now. Apple should have done this all along, in my opinion.
  4. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How would it hurt microsoft at all, because macs don't nessisarly mean they won't use windows, I mean after all windows does run on a mac. Not to mention there is some things on windows that isn't on a mac.... So obviously some people will most likely buy windows and a mac. If anything this might help M$.
  5. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

In the short run I dont think it will make too much difference. If Apple keep bringing out new laptops at cheaper prices with good specs though, I reckon more people will end up buying Macs and hurt Microsoft in the long run.

They'll need to make Windows 7 a reason to stay on Windows.
  6. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think it's interesting. I only with that they had done this before university started.
    That way, they could have got all the students who wanted Macs, but couldn't afford them.
  7. hemispheric

hemispheric New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    oh my......i just bought a black macbook a week ago and now they're making new ones. should i go and return mine now???
  8. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

Yes ^

And I think it would hurt them quite a bit.
    People can get a sh*tty PC for that much , or most likely a better mac for that much.
    Plus more people want to go to mac nowadays.
  9. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    For $800, I can get a custom-built PC that has 2GB+ of RAM, a 3.0GHz CPU, and the ability to run Crysis.

You lose. Go home.
  10. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    a HELL of a lot... the ONLY reason people arent buying macs is because they look away as soon as they see the price.