How much space is actually on the iPod touch 2g 8gb

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iguanahotsauce, Mar 24, 2009.

1. iguanahotsauce

iguanahotsauce New Member

I just got a 2nd generation iPod touch today and when I plugged it in iTunes said that it had a cqpacity of 7gb. what I want to know is if 7gb capacity is correct or if I got a messed up iPod touch
  2. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That's correct. Some of it is for formatting, some of it is for the System (which is not included in the iTunes memory display) which is around 500 MB.
  3. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

You're the first person ever, I think to get that right. Everyone else says it's the OS that's taking up a gig.
  4. ZaidKoya

ZaidKoya New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    my ipod (used to)say 7.0GB, but my friend's says 7.01GB...? (unjailbroken ipods)
    now that i jailbroke my ipod i only got like.. 6.76GB and when i jailbroke my friends he had more then i did, (like 6.8GB) -.-
    kinda gets me mad couse i bought my ipod from the more expensive store..
  5. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

The jailbroken IPSW will partition your system partition a little more than the stock IPSW.
  6. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah. Default is (I think) 500 MB, mine said 7.09 GB. Now, default for a Pwned ipsw is 519 MB (but you can change it). Now my iPod is 6.95 GB. BTW Ipwnnublettz, isn't the OS like 250 MB and is actually shown in the "Other" category in iTunes (where it shows your device's sotrage)?
  7. ZaidKoya

ZaidKoya New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    hmm, if only we could change the partition sizes through our ipods.....
    if that is possible, im guessing whoever develops it would sell it in the cydia store..
  8. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, you change it in the restore ramdisk (somewhere in/usr/whatever). You modify a plist (the same one that preserves the baseband), and then restore. I think it is impossible to do from the userland. As far as by restore, PwnageTool already does this for you.