How much RAM does the system alone occupy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by creatino, Apr 2, 2009.

1. creatino

creatino New Member

Check out studangerous' excellent post on all things RAM under http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142660

Hi guys,

I've recently jailbroken my iPod touch 2G 16gB using untetherizer, resulting in an untethered JB with custom boot logo. Everything is peachy and works.

Having jailbroken, I installed MemTool to free up RAM after reading that memory leakage is quite common.

I have never ever entered the "green" region of MemTool's RAM counter: even now, just after a hard reboot, only 47 MB of 128 MB are free. Processes listed add up to 43 MB (I'm talking detailed view, the first screen only mentions SpringBoard, iapd and mediaserverd), so where do the other 38MB go? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having any performance issues at all, and if MemTool didn't put me in the orange zone I never would have noticed, but I'm curious anyway.

Obviously I don't have any backgrounding going on when I'm checking RAM usage.

Any ideas? and thanks in advance
  2. ben1002

ben1002 Banned

same for me very common i think it is normal
  3. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Get SysInfoPlus from Cydia, it tells you all that is running an allows you to kill it.
  4. div^

div^ New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I got 60mb on a hard reboot

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    r u running winterboard?
  6. creatino

creatino New Member

Gaddamn you guys are fast. I'm used to waiting twice as long in holding loops when I'm calling my phone company. Cheers!
  7. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I usually have between 30-60MB RAM, it fluctuates depending on what I'm doing.
    Use SysInfoPlus, it will help.
  8. creatino

creatino New Member

@nikj14 I installed Winterboard but haven't customised anything, nor do I have it backgrounded. Does it take up memory anyway? I'll install SysInfoPlus and check it out
  9. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Winterboard will lower batterylife and may reduce RAM (unsure of this) but that is only if you are heavily customized.

EDIT: a part of MXTube is always running, dunno why, I think it would be safe to kill it in SIP but that won't save you much.
  10. creatino

creatino New Member

@G8D yeah I figured Winterboard would mainly just overwrite standard pngs with customised ones... In any case, SysInfoPlus reports 8MB inactive and 28MB Wired RAM, so I'll go check out what that means. (no winterboard mentioned in the processes)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well here's a good simple primer on what free, active, inactive and wired RAM is for those that find this post and didn't know either: it refers to regular computers so the virtual memory part most probably doesn't apply to the iPod Touch (or does it? I guess the concept is possible on flash memory based systems)

http://sg80bab.blogspot.com/2007/03/is-my-mac-using-too-much-memory.html