How much memory required for apps only?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pastacat, Nov 8, 2008.

1. pastacat

pastacat New Member

I have been offered a second generation ipod touch for this holiday season and am faced with a choice between the 8, 16, and 32 gigabyte models. While this issue has been resolved multiple times on this website, I am in a different usage and finance situation.

For starters, I will not be storing any music files or audio books on this device- my 4 gigabyte Sansa Clip goes far beyond my audio needs. I will not be using podcasts.

I do not want to store much video at all. I only want enough free memory to rent a single itunes store movie every now and then.

Besides the movie rental space, my only storage requirement is for a great many apps. More specifically, I plan to get the maximum number of apps from multiple areas of the app store, including the games area. I will not be using apps that are not available in the itunes app store.

How many gigabytes do I need to ensure that I never have to worry about having space for apps and one-at-a-time movie rentals?

I ask this instead of just getting a 32 gigabyte model because of the financial situation surrounding the gift offer. While the gift offer is for $400, I have an inflexible entertainment budget of about $70 per month. Anything that I spend on ipod touch accessories and apps hurts my other interests, and I want to avoid such setbacks as much as is possible.

If I asked for a 16 GB or, better yet, 8 GB ipod touch, I could divert the rest of the $400 to much-needed accessories and apps. Given my situation, what model should I ask for? Thank you for your time.
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Without jailbreaking (obviously it's going to be a 2G) and installing Categories, you'll only be getting about 130 apps on any of the iPods. There is a limit on the amount of icons on the home screen.
  3. pastacat

pastacat New Member

Thank you for the help. I do not mind a maximum number of apps. If I were to reach this limit with a variety of apps, how much memory would I need?
  4. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Apps take up a lot less space than you think. I have probably over 50 apps synced right now, and it takes up 2GB with some pretty big apps on there (Beatmaker - 100 MB, SMB - 100 MB, Asphalt 4 - 75 MB, etc).

I think you would be fine with an 8 GB. Most non-games and non-medical-huge-dictionaries hardly ever get above a megabyte, and most games usually take up 1-10 MB.
  5. pastacat

pastacat New Member

Thank you very much. I will ask for the 8 GB model.
  6. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

But. If you have a choice between all of them.. Go with the 32. xD

I, personally have an 8GB and it's perfectly fine.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have a bunch of vids, 3-4 pages of apps, lots of music.

7. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    get the 16 gig... you will feel great in the nar future.
  8. sfazngiants

sfazngiants Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i would go with the 16G, you will fill the ipod up with music and they take up quite a bit of memory.
  9. pegaxs

pegaxs Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Get the 8gig. It has more storage then what you will ever need. If you are only storing apps on it and using it as a thumb drive perhaps.

I have the 8 gig and i have HEAPS of stuff stored on it. I have HEAPS of movies, TV shows, apps, ebooks, games, storage files and of course mp3's. I use my computer to store mp3's, not my ipod. 32gig is way to much unless you are using it for archiving, and that i would personally buy a back up hard drive.

save your $$'s for the extra gigs you wont really be needing and spend it on more entertainment

you will need an iphone head set so you can use fring to make skype calls! put that in the budget and a nice leather/silicon/hard plastic case and some screen protectors never go astray...
  10. sfazngiants

sfazngiants Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yea, i realized it after i made the post and was too lazy to edit. i would go with 8g if its for apps only.