How much data does FaceTime use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kujo87, Jun 25, 2010.

1. kujo87

kujo87 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just wondering if anyone knows how much data is used during a FaceTime chat?

With the notion of having a Cydia app to unlock FaceTime on 3G, and the now limited data packages with operators (in UK anyway, not sure of US), will this be a viable option?
  2. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    facetime is wifi only, on 3g i bet it would use alot since it sends AND receives streaming video and audio data.
  3. kujo87

kujo87 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    While its only Wifi now, SJ mentioned it possibly coming to 3G and I've heard of a potential Cydia app that will unlock the 3G as well. If they did do this, I'd imaging using my 750mb of data a month very quickly.

Does anybody know any actual figures?
  4. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    record a 10 min video using front camera, multiply that by 2.1 (for both send and receive data + bit extra for facetime code), and you may have a figure of how much data would be used for a 10 minute facetime chat. maybe.
  5. d00m42

d00m42 Member

That's a decent approximation to use. Once the iPhone 4 has a working jailbreak, I'm sure there will be a way to use Face Time over 3G. I would only recommend doing so with an unlimited or 2GB data plan if you plan to have longer/more frequent Face Time chats.
  6. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Facetime uses NO minutes. None. Zero. And no data because it won't work 3G. Zip.

Reports are out that it really only works well on high speed N conncetions, and that G connections are choppy . . . I doubt 3G has the bandwidth to handle Facetime.
  7. cjori

cjori New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    @steincj Your comment makes no sense at all, G connections are wa-a-a-y above your internet connection so upgrading to N connection won't upgrade the internet speed.
  8. Rukk

Rukk Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wifi only... YET.

And btw, I doubt FaceTime uses 54 Mbit/s of bandwidth...

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Wintertears

Wintertears Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    oh, I saw engadget used facetime on a mifi connection. So theoretically a 3g connection can handle the load.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Seriously? It isn't the speed, it's the connection. I'll get facetime to work all day long if I stand next to my access point. Move 20 feet away and through one wall and you will have a completely different experience.

N has no greater range than G, but when youy G has such a poor signal that you can barely connect, your N's poor connection is at least giving you G speeds.

Do I make sense now?