How many of you guys use Composite cables to view videos on TV ??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Archangeldawn, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Do you use your Ipod with composite cables to view Videos on your TV?

1. Yes, it is so awesome I recommend you to exchange your ipod touch for a new one A.S.A.P!!

26.7%
  2. Yes, its a lil extra something nice to have, but it's like whatever.

33.3%
  3. No, I use my Ipod Touch as a portable multimedia player for wherever I go

46.7%
  4. I can play videos&music through my TV&stereo ??!!

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Archangeldawn

Archangeldawn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay So I had just bought those $52 Apple Composite video cables from my local wal-mart, and by the end of the day I returned them. Here's why

I had bought some cheap $15 composite cables from ebay. The first cables sent to me didn't "work". I say work in parentheses because I got sent another set of cables and those didn't work either. I tested them on my brother-in-law's 16GB Ipod Touch 2G and they worked splendid, both of them did.

So today after buying the expensive @$$ cables ( I was desperate to see if it was some apple enable chip preventing 3rd party cables from playing video), I tested them...and nothing. I called apple tech support which they made an appointment for me. So I went and the first thing the techie states is that the fact that it is jail broken voids the warranty. I was expecting that, but my Ipod touch has been out of warranty anyway. He mentions it might be due to the jailbreak that it might be some software issue

Please Register or Log in to view images

, yeah take the easy way out huh. SO I state that even before I jailbreak it, I had version 1.1, version 3.0 and now version 2.2.1 and still the same thing.

I asked if he has another set of cables he can test, he brings out a TV and hooks it up...same old same old ; Ipod touch plays audio but not video. So he says I could trade in my ipod and get a new one for a 10% discount for $149 for a 1GB Ipod Touch. The deal sounds tempting, and so I went home to think about it.

I originally got the composite cables for a party I was throwing, I had downloaded so many music videos, but that didn't work out well. Now I'm wondering if I had an actually working ipod that would output video, if I would actually find it practical to view videos on the tv.

So here's where you guys come in, how many of you actually use composite/RCA cables to view videos on the tv?
  2. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think many people do. And before 3.0 update, the cheap 3rd party ones worked.However, only apple cables with the chip work on 3.0
  3. Archangeldawn

Archangeldawn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes I had read about many accessory issues with the 3.0 software, and thinking that could be the reason for the non-working cables, I downgraded from 3.0 to 2.2.1.

But now I wonder if I should just go to 3.0 for that copy&paste feature and jailbreak it. Or stay with 2.2.1 since a lot of people have issues with 3.0.

p.s Unless..there's an app that allows copy&paste for 2.2.1

4. JeffS

JeffS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I use the composite cables from Apple and it works great. I'm using a 1st gen iPod Touch running 2.2.0. I also encode at 2000kbps for my videos at 640 wide. It looks great on my 50" plasma. The files are large, but that isn't a concern for my usage.

-Jeff
  5. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I do. Bought it yesterday, quality is absolutely superb. No problems whatsoever. iPhone 3GS 3.0, iPod touch 2G 3.0
  6. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is copy and paste for 2.2.1, its called clippy in Cydia
  7. Archangeldawn

Archangeldawn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Thank you so much flashisflamable for telling me about that app

8. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm selling my Composite Cable currently, just found no use for it anymore. Was a well built cable though.

They've gone from £25 to £35 on the Apple Store as well....
  9. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Same with the PSP. It's a PlayStation PORTABLE for f***'s sake. 640p isn't the same as 720p, it's "good enough". Plasma ? You mean 1080 full HD ? You must be really desperate to output 640 on a 1080. And when I think of all the poor saps who output 480p on 1080... They even say it looks great ! Riiiiight... That's old people with no glasses for you...

Even the standard DVD resolution is over 700 ! 704 or 720. It's a real shame to not use all the pixels. It's pure visual awe.

For analog TVs I have no problem. Spend your money by all means. Merchants are counting on your "accessorisation" spree. However I can't tell you enough how useless TV out cables are. Especially for a portable device with it's own power supply and it's own screen.
  10. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    They're nice to have, but I don't view them as a necessity. I probably use them once a week at the most.