iPhone 3GS How long is your 3GS battery lasting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryoto, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Ryoto

Ryoto New Member

I just wanna see how 3gs owners are experiencing their iphone 3gs battery life and maybe do a little comparison.

i've been testing for about a week how the 3gs battery can handle internet browsing and the battery percentage goes down avg of 5% every 15 mins. so about 10% every half an hour which makes it 300 minutes to suck 100% of the entire battery juice but usually lasted around 15 - 30 mins longer addition to 300 mins.

So as the apple website states, it seems to be lasting around 5 hours before the iphone dies while web browsing. This is also while having 10 or so hours of standby time.

The websites that i've browsed while testing were Gizmodo, engadget, digg, appleinsider, facebook, wikipedia, apple forums, ipod touch fans, and few google searches at non mobile web versions.

This was done on 3G network, no wifi, no push, no location servicess, signal strength always at full and the brightnessss was about 33% with auto brightness on (the little circle on the brightness bar was directly above the letter 'e')

as for games, it seemed to be draining the battery much quicker than just browsing the web.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I use EDGE for most things, email, Facebook, twitter. 3G for web browsing which I don't do a lot of when I'm on the go. Wifi off unless I need it. Push enabled for a few apps; mail is set to manual fetch. Brightness - usually 15%, auto. Bluetooth - off. I get fairly decent battery life with that set-up (I get through the day with some to spare.)

Sorry for the rambling...
  3. Clusterfunk

Clusterfunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The battery is definitely NOT what it claims on the website.
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    While I also don't think it would quite live up to Apple's claims, I'm happy with it. I never turn my brightness up past around 20% unless I'm in full sunlight and can't see the screen, I leave push set to 15 minutes, and don't game very heavily on it that often. I browse random websites on 3G when I'm bored and watch some youtube videos once in a while, but my main usage consists of talk, text, and music. My 3GS lasts me through the day with usually around 50% or more still remaining when I put it on the charger at night.
  5. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's not what Apple claims. Mine goes down about 10% every 50 minutes with push off, brightness to about 25%, either wifi or 3G on, notifications off, and Bluetooth off. Why is the battery life so crappy and well below Apple's claim? I find it dissapointing that we must turn off all of these functions to get mediocre battery life.
  6. Ryoto

Ryoto New Member

What applications are you using?
  7. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i keep my brightness around 25% at all times, turn off wifi when i am not at home, Never use Bluetooth, and through moderate use at work it's about 30% charged when i get home. I mainly play games, browse the internet a little bit and text a very small amount. I've never had an iPhone before this so i don't know how long it's supposed to last but I can tell you for certain that it lasts longer than my wife's 3G under roughly the same usage.
  8. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    to get even close to what apple claims the battery can go up to, you would need to be in aeroplane mode with the brightness all the way down

Please Register or Log in to view images

. i got about 6 and a half hours of usage with some gaming a lot of wifi browsing and some 3g browsing. watched a few videos too, and that was with about 20 hours of standby, not too bad
  9. Ryoto

Ryoto New Member

it seem like the 3gs lasts about 4-5 hours of app , internet browsing, videos, or watever u are doing. Even just flipping through the spring board seems like its draining alot of battery power. so basically if u have the screen on with decent brightness it will suck the power right out.
  10. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple always exagurates the battery time to the nearest hour its just a bunch of numbers that have no meaning...