How logoff from Appstore without a pc?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by marciton, Nov 24, 2008.

1. marciton

marciton New Member

Hello,
    I've a jailbreak touch (2.1) and I'm far far away from my PC
    I want logoff from the appstore to use another account (yes I've 2 accounts)

any idea? the account is probably store somewhere?
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The iPod has to be synced to another PC to use another account's information - but that'll kill anything currently stored on the iPod; music, videos, applications. Otherwise the 'Reset' option will do it.. but it'll, again, kill every file on the iPod. It's Apple's way of making sure you don't use your iPod as a pirating device.
  3. marciton

marciton New Member

I know that but the idea is not to access to my music ... I just want to logon with a different account on the appstore without a pc ...
  4. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Download a free app from the appstore and sign in with a different account.
  5. pavan

pavan Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    when i do it, i dont get an option to change the username, only enter the pass.
  6. Jarlath

That's why I said you can't 'logoff' without syncing - you have to sync the iPod to a different account in order to download anything, and that wipes out everything currently on the iPod. That's why Apple requires you to connect the iPod to a PC before you can use it to do anything - it has to link to an iTunes account, and the only way to put that information on the iPod is to sync with iTunes and assign the iTunes account name that way.
  7. marciton

marciton New Member

that's wrong ...

you can have 2 itunes accounts (I've 2, one US and one from my country) and on the pc I can switch from one to the other ... and buy applications on both

and if I just logoff from the store and sync my iTouch it'll let me enter an account and a password when I want download something (directly from the iTouch with Wi-fi)
    but after it keep this account and only ask for the password
    so it probably store the information somewhere on a file ...
  8. Jarlath

You can have two iTunes accounts - on the PC. You just have to enter your iTunes information for the account you want to access. However, each iPod can only be synced to one iTunes account, even though one iTunes account can sync to multiple iPods. You can log off from iTunes on the PC because it lets you do so - the assumption is that your PC doesn't go everywhere with you.

However, your iPod is much, much more portable than your PC is. When iPods were first created and used, FairPlay DRM and the whole DRM setup was based on the presumption that you'd be carrying your iPod with you all the time, and in an effort to try and stop piracy, you could copy files to the iPod but couldn't copy them back without specialized software. The iPhone and iPod Touch wireless iTunes and App Store build on this principle of being able to download to the iPod... but they can only do so after being synced to an iTunes account, which takes place on a PC.

I'll repeat this again: You CANNOT log off on the iPod because you need to sync your iPod to an iTunes account via your PC in order to assign an iTunes account to the iPod. If you want to change the iTunes account on the iPod, you have to sync it to that other account via iTunes on a PC. This was a deliberate design decision by Apple in an effort to avoid easy piracy. Notice that you have to sync an iPod onto an iTunes account via a PC before you can use the wireless App Store. If you don't... it'll ask you to sync first. The only thing it'll let you enter is your password for an account it already has synced onto it.
  9. marciton

marciton New Member

ok I understand ... but you can try something , just logoff from your itune session on your pc and don't log to another itune store ( or go to ahother country itune store but without log).
    after you sync your iTouch and eject it.
    after try to buy a free application from mobile app store ... your iTouch will ask you for account and password
  10. Jarlath

And notice that you had to log out using iTunes on your PC and sync it. The key here is that you SYNCED the iPod's information using the iTunes software on your computer; and the last time that I remember that (logging in with a different iTunes account), it killed all the data for the OTHER iTunes account on the iPod. Stuff like applications, photos, and music.

You CANNOT 'log off' from App Store or iTunes from within the iPod - it's designed to stop that, in order to prevent people just switching iTunes accounts on the fly and downloading a friend's purchased music or applications. About the only other thing I can think of that might work, and I don't believe it will, is to have a friend log into your iTunes account and then log off. But since your iPod won't have synced with that PC, thus clearing the iTunes information on it, it should still be logged into the account you synced it with last.