How likely is it that I'm going to get this thing sent back to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewartfan, Sep 3, 2010.

1. stewartfan

stewartfan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am in the hands of an iPhone that I found with a shattered screen on the side of the road (like ran over at least once), and talked to the owner, who told me they didn't want to worry about it. The back was almost scratch-free, except for a few gnarly scuffs. Now, it's a little more scratched, but it's only normal scratching. It's a 3G 8GB Black with warranty until 5/2011. I bought a new screen for it, hoping that would fix it, and it turns out that it's going into DFU mode randomly, the Wi-Fi, and presumably the Cell radio don't work, the camera doesn't work, the mic is blown, and the accelerometer is iffy. I'd been using it 'hacktivated' as an iPod, as my 2nd Gen touch has a messed up headphone jack. The only problem with this is that the Touch is very reliable, no matter how beat up it looks. The iPhone, on the other hand, goes into DFU mode so often to the point where every time I pull it out of my pocket, the screen is black and unresponsive; and it doesn't always come out without a computer. So, almost every time I go to use it, usually out of the house, I have to hold home+sleep multiple times, sometimes going into normal recovery mode, and others going into DFU mode; rarely does it actually boot up. So, anyway, is there any way Apple can tell that I opened it up and replaced the screen? The screen is a great-quality one, and I don't see any differences between it and the one on my Touch, besides some extra sensors. I am working on getting it fully restored, but right now, it won't come out of DFU mode after restore...any insight? The box is on the way from Apple for it, as I'm too far from an Apple store. What are the chances I'll actually get a working one?

Thanks for your input!

Please Register or Log in to view images

P.S. Pics have been added, it's in great shape for what it went through. 'Before repair' are the ones taken on the silver keyboard, and 'after repair' have a black background.

Attached Files:

2. all_against_one

all_against_one New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Ok now I fix phones at a local repair shop called X-Treme Gaming... I have had this problem happen to me numerous times lately... When you replace an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS screen and it's not Apple grade material it won't be registered as the correct phone screen that's why it is in the DFU mode loop.. Now as far as Apple telling you may have a chance.. As long as you can't see screen separation (the thin black rubber band going around the screen that you can see between the bezel and the screen) then you have they most likely will do it but you do they will take it apart and seen the 3rd. Party screen. Hope I help.