How is this going to work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mister alligator, Feb 24, 2008.

1. mister alligator

mister alligator New Member

Assuming flash will be released....
    How will we play flash based games that require a keyboard or a mouse??
    It could be pretty damn awkward.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

you'd have to change the actual game OR add little buttons to the bottom of the app (e.g. space bar, up, down, left, right, etc.)

wouldnt be too hard i think
  3. mister alligator

mister alligator New Member

I mean for games on websites for example www.addictinggames.com or www.orisinal.com

4. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

Exactly, you'd have to add buttons that are up, down, left, right, etc. or whatever the game requires.
  5. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    my guess is that Apple will produce a application for the ipod touch, instead of just playing flash games in the browser window (like the psp) it will probably take you to a Flash.app, sort of like the youtube.app. and within the flash.app, you will have features like keyboard, directional arrows, and maybe support for tapping the screen where you would normally click with a mouse. thats my guess anyways. i guess we'll have to wait and see
  6. bundyxc

bundyxc Member

Yeah. Either that or Apple will get lazy and just not do it at all.

Hey 1337chaos, how did you get so many lines of text in your signature?
  7. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i added it all before they put the new rule into place

im actually running 1.1.3 now, but i cant update my signature because it tells me its too long
  8. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

You've probably hit on the reason Flash wasn't supported in the first place.

The Touch has a unique interface, and while it can do some things like any old mouse/cursor interface can, it's potential is in what features IT has that nothing else has (yet). Multitouch being the most important, but not forgetting acceleration and orientation sensing. With one cursor/mouse arrow you can do one thing at a time. Yea, it can be a complex thing (like ALT/SHIFT/RghtClik/drag) but it's still one thing. The Touch screen can sense at least 5 simultaneous touches. Assuming you're holding the Touch in one hand, that leaves something to do with every finger+thumb on your other hand. Those five fingers can touch anywhere on the 480x272 pixel grid. From a simple point of view, you have 5 potential inputs using just one or more fingers to touch the screen. (1 finger, 2 fingers, three finger, four fingers, and all five digits). Give them dedicated points to touch, and you have several more possibilities. (1,1+2,1+3,1+4,1+5,2,2+3,2+4,2+5,3,3+4,3+5,4,4+5,5,1+2+3,1+2+4,1+2+5,1+3+4,1+4+5,1+3+5,2+3+4,2+3+5,2+4+5,3+4+5, and so on). We have't even considered gestures (swipes and arcs and such) yet.

My point? I don't care how well my Touch can play existing flash games. I'm interested in the amazing games/apps that will be possible when FLASH (or web programming in general) itself catches up with the potential of the Touch interface.

Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can download the SDK?

4D
  9. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

wow.. extra fingers makes a dirtier screen!
  10. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Or you could just wash your hands before Touching the Touch. Works well.