How is the JB on 3.0 at the moment?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by irfman, Jul 6, 2009.

1. irfman

irfman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I installed the JB on the 3.0 firmware on my iPod Touch 2g when it came out like a month ago. I know was having lot of problems with apps, cydia etc. So I decided to take the JB off and wait till there are proper fixes. So how is the JB working now? is Cydia working fine or does it still have problems?
  2. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    it works fine
    cydia had a couple updates
  3. davers

davers New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cydia's fine, but a few apps still aren't working on 3.0.

To be honest, Cydia was buggy for a little bit, but it hasn't crashed on me since I updated it about 2 days after doing the jailbreak (which I did on the day of the Redsn0w release). I don't see a reason not to update, unless you regularly use a jailbroken app which does not yet work on 3.0.

The only things that bug me are lack of FontSwap (though you can SSH your own fonts over), no keyboard themes, and I get a little weirdness with custom sounds and lockscreen wallpaper - either I have my custom MGS codec sound effects and a black lockscreen, or I get my wallpaper with default Apple sound theme. These are only tiny irritations compared to the new stuff 3.0 has given my device, though.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no real reason not to do the jailbreak by now.
  4. DarianXS

DarianXS New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  5. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    TBH, it's still quite buggy. At least, with some of the common JB tweaks.

For example, to combine the music and video apps like in 2.x.x, you have to sacrifice a good portion of settings. Notably, backgrounds, sounds, EQ, and some other stuff.

FiveIconDock and Springboard have a lot of issues.

Categories isn't as stable.

MobileFinder doesn't work at all, and there's no suitable replacement available.

Winterboard isn't as stable.

Bossprefs is horrible. It works, but only partially. Many things cause some serious issues if you try them. For example, if you try to enable a numeric battery, it will ruin categories, your icon arrangement, along with make the everything so unstable that you'll need to restore.

Personally, I'd stick with a bare-bones JB. You can get by with Categories and Winterboard, but to be honest, I'd avoid any sort of music/video app combiner, 5 icon springboard, bossprefs, and SBsettings.

I plan on doing a full restore later today. I'll temporarily use a non-JB 3.0, then tomorrow when my new Macbook arrives I'll re-jailbreak with PwnageTool.

I'm going to go with a nice landscape leopard theme, and use categories for organization. I'll skip Bossprefs, and just get poof and respring.
  6. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yes, I have had some of the same experiences.

I am using WinterBoard and SBSettings, now.

In addition to what has been said, I found WBApps and WinterBoard, and SBSettings did not "play nice" together. I had everything set up, with a reasonably nice custom theme selection. I did want to have some categories icons.

When I installed and tried to use Boss Preferences, then WBApps I had unreliable responses to input. Now I can't get rid of the original "grid" dock.

I have had icons and apps mysteriously disappear.

iTunes and SBSettings "report" the icons and the apps are there, but I don't see the apps and Global Search doesn't "see" them either.

I have tried reinstalling the apps using iTunes. No joy.

I have made the best of it with Transparent Dock, No Docked Icon Labels and DockFlow iPod Forevermac and Glasklart No Page Dots. I have Black Navigation Bars, and Make it Mine for WiFI and WBApp Signal Bars for iTouch in the upper left hand top.

These selections "play nice" and are a stable configuration.

-Xi-
    I have "poof" inside SBSettings. Is that the one you mean?
  7. Dixi789

Dixi789 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    SBSettings is working fine for me.
  8. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Like what? Works perfectly for me

Categories actually seems faster now on 3.0, then when on 2.2.1. It's more stable for me, haven't had any crashes with it

Have you tried iFile? It works

Winterboard works just like it did on 2.2.1 for me.

Does bossprefs enable the numeric battery the same way that SBSettings does?

9. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had some of the same issues that you mentioned. What a pain.

It took a restore and rejailbreak to fix the mess.

I'm talking about *just* Poof. It's the same app that's included with SBSettings and Bossprefs, but minus the SBSettings and Bosspref parts. It's just Poof. Nothing else. I know it was available back when 2.0 came out, but I haven't looked for it since then.