How I jailbroke my G2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by awesomo, Feb 1, 2009.

1. awesomo

awesomo New Member

If someone wonders if iTunes can be open while jailbreaking, I had it open all the time, so yes.
    I did this on Windows XP Pro 32bit.

Firstly download the tool on http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138081 and extract it somewhere keep a window open to the core folder.
    Then I downloaded the 2.2.1 firmware trough iTunes (install it too if you didn't have it yet). After downloading I searched my ispw file and I found it in
    C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
    (you will have to enable viewing hidden files and directories)
    I copied it to the core folder and then renamed the copy to OriginalFW.ipsw.
    I saw that I needed libusb so I downloaded and installed it for windows http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78138 most people will miss this.
    So now I have the tool, firmware 2.2.1, the libusb, an ipod touch 2G running 2.2.1.
    Next I ran 'redsn0w lite.exe' in the core folder and selected option 1. (while my ipod touch was on and connected to the pc trough usb)
    Just let the program run until it says something about a new ipsw file (you can find this one in the core folder [JailbrokenFW.ipsw])
    I pressed enter and ran 'redsn0w lite.exe' in the core folder again but I selected option 2 this time.
    I held both buttons for 10 seconds like I was asked but I held the hold button a bit longer then it said (2 seconds more)
    I got many lines that said some things about sending stuff in packets and succesfully uploaded file.
    Then I unplugged my ipod touch like I was asked and I plugged it back in after 5 to 10 seconds (giving my pc the time to see that it was disconnected)
    Then I plugged it back in and my screen became white pretty quickly but I waited some seconds before I pressed enter. (giving my pc the time to see that it was connected)
    After I pressed enter recovery began when you see '] (Recovery)' then you can begin to typ the 2 cmds arm7_go [ENTER] arm7_stop [ENTER] after that press ctrl+c and select N (forces program quit)
    Then I went into iTunes and holded shift while clicking on restore and I selected the JailbrokenFW.ipsw that I created. (should be in the core folder) a while ago.
    Now the ipod is restoring this will take a while.
    CONGRATZ you jailbroke your ipod touch 2G, but you can't turn on your ipod touch 2G that's why it's called tethered.

Please Register or Log in to view images

To turn on your ipod touch 2G once it's jailbroken tethered-style:
    Run 'redsn0w lite.exe' in the core folder and selected option 3. Then hold both buttons for 10 seconds like asked but hold the hold button a bit longer then it said (2 seconds more)
    type arm7_go
    type arm7_stop
    Press ctrl + C and answer "N"
    type go
    Now you can use your ipod touch 2G again.
  2. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    theres already like 10 of these
  3. mossfactor07

mossfactor07 New Member

windows or apple

what computer did u do your jailbreak on.. windows or apple

4. awesomo

awesomo New Member

windows

ps: blackbelt534 I don't need your idiotic comment I'm just trying to help some people.
  5. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    YES! Another one!
  6. 0xjf

0xjf Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    "oh, thanks dude for taking the time to make a guide for us!"

be grateful
  7. stillercity

stillercity New Member

You did not just call it a G2....
  8. brianjw

brianjw New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What happens if I get the iTunes 1604 error?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Does it matter... *SARCASM*