How I fixed some apps to work on 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by karman, Jan 30, 2008.

1. karman

karman New Member

Hello,

I needed iDeleteMail and iReadMail to work with Mail in 1.1.3 but when i ran them both show an error msg saying that were unable both of them to find the database, so i did this:

mv ~/Library/* /private/var/mobile/Library
    rm -rf ~/Library
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Library ~/Library​

And they worked again. I dont know if this works for more applications 'cos i didnt tested, but we can post on this thread apps that woorks and apps that dont.
  2. karman

karman New Member

This worked too for taskbar notifier.
  3. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Hm, I don't know enough about the iPod's directory structure to know what ~/Library is for. Is there any chance that this would mess up anything else in the iPod? Because I'd really like Taskbar notifier to work (it sent my iPod into recovery mode - which I got out of using iBrickr, fortunately).
  4. karman

karman New Member

Library directory is for apple a folder where all applications preferences are stored.

In 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 firmware version the Library folder was located at /private/var/root but in 1.1.3 versions apple changed location to /private/var/mobile (they seem to want all apps runing as mobile user), so in order to get taskbar notifier and some other apps working (i love the taskbar notifier) I made a symbolic link from where is located to where it was located in 1.1.(1|2) version, and it worked.

My ipod was jailbroken to 1.1.3 with '1.1.3 Jailbreak+iPhone Apps!' from Dev. Team and i hadnt any problem. Just needed to correct some suid permisions on installer, ssh.app and terminal.app.

I changed the root password with SSH.app (restored from 1.1.2 apps folder) and it didnt crashed my springboard. I hadnt any trouble and every thing is working fine.
  5. ActiveX

ActiveX New Member

i have a problem with the fix of the thread owner.
    I connected via SSH to the iPhone and typed the first line. i got this result

# mv ~/Library/* /private/var/mobile/Library
    mv: rename /var/root/Library/Installer to /private/var/mobile/Library/Installer: Directory not empty
    mv: rename /var/root/Library/Preferences to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences: Directory not empty

so what should i do to bring iReadMail or iDeleteMail to work?
  6. drxenon

drxenon New Member

Try this...

Something that I just found when I did this was that, after deleting the ~/Library directory was that something was recreating it in the background?!?!? So by the time i tried to create the symbolic link, it was creating it inside of a newly create directory at ~/Library.

If you look inside of ~/Library and see a link inside of there called Library, this maybe happening to you too, so I just combined the rm and the ln on the same command line...

make sure you are in ~ (/var/root) and do:

rmdir Library; ln -s /var/mobile/Library ~/Library

The semicolon allows you to string commands together on one command line, hence they'll run fast enough to keep whatever is recreating the Library directory in /var/root from doing it before the ln command can create the link. When I did this, I was able to run iReadMail successfully!

EDIT: BTW, doing the rmdir from /var/root instead of rm -rf assumes that your ~/Library directory is already empty. If it isn't and you don't care about the contents of that dir, you could change the rmdir to an rm -rf. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE if you delete something you shouldn't have! ;-)
  7. Fartman

Fartman New Member

Hey y'all, I just figured out how to get iReadMail to work!! I don't have iDeleteMail, but I'm guessing it should work the same.

Using MobileFinder, make a "Bookmark" or a Symbolic Link (Alias) of the Mail folder located here:
    /var/mobile/Library/Mail

and place the Alias (Bookmark, Symbolic Link, etc.) of this folder here:
    /var/root/Library

I just did it and tested it out several times and it works just fine.

I have a Jailbroken iPhone using the Zhiphone hack.