How easy is it to switch to Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by DAOSgeek, Jul 25, 2010.

1. DAOSgeek

DAOSgeek Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So, I was looking at my old desktop and found nothing useful left on it, all of it having been moved to my external hard drive. I decided that I would like to try out Ubuntu on it, and have the iso burnt on a CD, ready and will wipe the hard drive when necessary.

Before I go ahead, could anyone with experience of this tell me how easy it is to switch from windows (xp) to Ubuntu? I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, so I think I should be able to understand it well.

It is really old, and all I can remember is it has a pentium 4 processor @ 2.4GHz, 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD.
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    it changes for each computer, but after i got the interrnet working, i was using ubuntu on my laptop.
  3. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Very easy, plus ubuntu installation wizard imports all your browsing history and files from windows to ubuntu

Please Register or Log in to view images

go for it

4. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Its very easy to get used to ubuntu but its how you go about it which will make it a successful switch or not

These were the steps I took

1a: Switch from propriety single platform applications to open souce cross plaform e.g. from microsoft office to open office

1b: while you are doing that download iso and burn it to cd or usb and use it off that until you are familiar with how it works and am ready for the next step

2: Install as dual boot and slowly migrate from windows to ubuntu and wait a couple of months until you are ready to say goodbye and know that everything works

3: fully switch (maybe have a xp virtual machine installed just in case, if you are a true geek then make an image of the partition and use that

)

If I was you I would add more ram cause you will not be able to run a virtual machine of xp on that much of ram
  5. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's not hard at all to switch.
  6. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The installation itself and interface are easy to switch to. But many times people have problems with getting Wi-Fi and sound cards to work.
  7. DAOSgeek

DAOSgeek Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I forgot to mention, I have another windows machine anyway.

@Richardarkless, I'll use that method. I've tested it and everything works on the live CD, plus it's a LOT faster than XP, so ill start dual booting maybe next week, once I've worked my way around it. Oh, and I was already using open-source software because some of it is simpler, and most of it takes up less space on the hard drive.
  8. crazytrain320

crazytrain320 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Whats faster though? XP or Ubuntu
  9. DAOSgeek

DAOSgeek Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For this machine, Ubuntu runs faster
  10. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ubuntu, DEFINATLY!!!!
    I have it on the computer that i'm running now. In XP, it took me abt 10-20 minutes to boot up and get on the interwebz. Now that i have Ubuntu, takes about 10 secs to boot up and get on to the interwebz (I like saying that!) No kidding!