How easy is it to replace the ipod screen (and fix headphone jack)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yerffej, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

So, I used to drop my ipods to the ground all the time to watch people freak out, which was pretty funny to watch, but nothing happened to my ipods. This gave me the mindset that ipods are pretty tough, so one day I decided to throw my ipod to the ground as part of a joke, and this is what happened. Moral of the story, Do not throw your ipod.

Anyways, how easy or hard is it to replace the screen? I bought this ipod used, so I don't have a warranty on it, but I doubt apple would cover this kind of damage anyway.
    Also, the headphone jack is a little messed up. I have to have my headphones like halfway in the jack for it to work. How can I fix this? Other then these problems, everything else in the ipod works fine.

I know I would have to buy replacement parts and all that, but what I don't know is where to get them. And I'm not afraid to open this baby up. Oh, and this is a 1G iPod Touch. Thanks!
  2. juiceman23

juiceman23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i ahve about a 2-3cm scratch on my screen that... well bugs me when i watch movies and i dont know how it got there. So i would also like to know if you can get the screen replaced
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

4. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

yea, that looks messed up.. im sure if u take it to the apple store, they'll do it, but it will be expensive
  5. Edward4466ed

Edward4466ed New Member

its around $180 here in canada.
  6. GTASA

GTASA New Member

Ya. You can also go to ifixit.com and buy iPhone/iPod touch parts and they even have videos
  7. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Seriously, before you send it to apple, GOOGLE. I fixed my old 4th gen by replacing the hard drive and while i was doing that I read through some stuff about disassembling the ipod touch and priced replacement screens and such. Scour the internet for a few days and order some new parts. You could probably find some you-tube videos or instructions on how to replace the screen. It's already broken, might as well try and fix it.
  8. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I don't plan on sending it to apple. I want to fix it myself. That's why I posted this thread because I didn't know any good sites to get parts. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  9. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    • Immature or obscene comments
    I mean, it can't be too hard to replace parts. Don't these things get assembled by children in china? I'm pretty sure mine was shipped from china....

Edit: never meant to offend anyone with this post.... Sorry.
  10. anc96

anc96 New Member