How does Jb slow down the touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by BOyOfWONDEr, Oct 14, 2008.

1. BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have found that especially with the latest 2.1 update that my iPod is super zippy on it's own, however when i jailbreak it, after a couple of weeks it slows right down and lags everywhere.

So my question is...

What slows it down...?

- Winterboard theming?
    - Something in the actual jailbreak process? (doubtful)
    - Categories and other springboard apps?
    - Scrobbler and other background apps?

I wanna keep ma Speeeed!
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Background Processes are the main huge thing that slows it down and consume it's battery life.
  3. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

I find it only slows down a wee bit.
    Not enough to matter really.
  4. sackdragon

sackdragon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How do you stop the processes from running in the background?
  5. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Respring every once in a while.
  6. groptard

groptard New Member

i did some tests on this with my iphone 2g.

i loaded the settings app and it took 3 seconds on average to boot with winterboard installed. i uninstalled winterboard and i shot down to 2 seconds. if one application can make this much of difference, consistantly, who knows how much lag you couild be getting from 10, 20, or even 30 applications.
  7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

One other thing you should worry about is what sort of crap you're installing - stuff like Stacks, WinterBoard, and SpringBoard or scrobbler apps usually are running all the time. However, if you're also installing stuff that has to modify system files (for you people who don't pay for apps), expect issues to crop up because you're running a selectively corrupted version of some system files... which can cause issues further down the line.

For the record, JB shouldn't be slowing you down very much, if at all. Unless, of course, you're one of those idiots who installs Categories, Stacks, PocketTouch, Scrobbler, keeps Finder running in the background, and then has their iPod checking mail every 10 minutes via Fetch.
  8. wrestler1256

wrestler1256 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    try turning off ssh
  9. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah, i dont think the actual jailbraking process slows down the iphone/ipod. I think that if i jailbroke my iphone, and didn't install any jailbroken apps, i wouldn't notice any difference. But as soon as you start installing things that run in the background like as people mentioned, now with backgrounder, you can run apps in the background, when i had backgrounder installed, my phone lagged alot, i couldn't stand it.

So yeah, you can draw the conclusion jailbreaking slows down your iphone/ipod, not by the actual process, but by the apps you have installed.
  10. BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah i've restored and rejailbroken and all i have is my iTunes apps and winterboard and it's still zooming as fast as unjailbroken so i think it's mobilescrobbler and categories and stacks and all that...