How does Genius work?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by felixen, Oct 6, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know what it is and I think I know how to use it, but I don't understand HOW it works. How does it find similar songs? My music library is 100% hiphop so it's not just genre it finds right. Is it beat-wise it can somehow find similar songs? Like if I have a song with a quiet and relaxing beat it'll find similar songs to that??
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    The word it is uses all those things you mentioned and more. Plus it keeps a database of all the users libraries and playlist info up in the Genius cloud. The more and more people use it the better it will get and the more accurate the song choices will be.
  3. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think its a mix between BPM, Genre, Band, Song name etc.

Its pretty damn clever
  4. beebop

beebop New Member

a mixture of this and also other users playlists, song counts etc.

as said up there^^^ the more you guys use it, the more accurate it will become!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    so clever it's creepy.. that's why I haven't used it...
  6. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sounds pretty cool. Although there are a few songs that I dont think sound alike, there must be something about it. When I listen to some queensbridge music it finds a lot of queensbridge artists in the genius list. that's sweet.

I was wondering though, how does it get more accurate just because more people use it? I mean it's not like people themselves say this song sounds just like this song and types it into itunes
  7. uber hax

uber hax Guest

its like Pandora radio, but computer automated.
  8. cripesonfriday

cripesonfriday New Member

Once you install it through iTunes Genius actually extracts itself in physical form and follows you around wearing a small fake moustache and pretending to read the paper while listening to everything you say and do.
    If you bop your head to a Miley Cyrus song one day while shopping , even for a split second accidentally, it takes a picture of you, adds it to your Genius list and blackmails you into buying even more Apple products......FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Oh it's Genius alright, but it's an evil genius
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Horribly! Thats how it works. Terribly and it does a great job at it!

It always finds crap songs I do not like. Slows my computer down a little, But just enough to annoy me. A lot of times I get "Genius is temporarily unavailable"

My theory of how it actually works.
    Collects info from every iTunes user, Songs, playlists, Genres ext.. Shuffles them up and spits them back out when you turn on genius. Very rarely does it find something I would actually buy and when it does I dont even buy it from iTunes. I go right to amazon or another cheaper DRM-free seller.

Genius? More like pushy annoying salesmen.

No Im kidding! I never use it. I never buy music from iTunes and only use it to sync the music I buy from other vendors to my iphone and apps that you can only get from itunes.
  10. beebop

beebop New Member

HAHA it wouldn't put me past apple